NBME 18 Content Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteoth

Fake it till ya' make it
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just took NBME 18, and as I'm going through it and trying to figure out where some of these questions came from, I'm coming up empty.

For example:

"A 70-year-old woman comes to the physician for a routine pelvic examination. During speculum examination of the vagina and cervix, the Valsalva maneuver causes a bulge of the anterior vaginal wall. Which of the following is the most likely cause of this finding?" --> Cystocele.
"Wheel shaped virus" --> Rotavirus
"A 34-year-old man is brought to the emergency department semiconscious and combative. In addition to sedation, a short-acting neuromuscular blocking agent is administered for intubation to prevent aspiration. Within a few seconds after administration of the drug, he has transient muscle fasiculations in his face; he develops generalized paralysis within 1 minute. Forty-five minutes after completion of the procedure, he is still paralyzed. A genetic abnormality of which of the following enzymes is most likely cause of his unusually slow recovery from paralysis?" --> Cholinesterase

I'm not trying to make excuses, but I've gone through UW twice, FA a couple of times, Pathoma 3x, and I'm just curious as to where this information comes from, and how people have gathered it.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just took NBME 18, and as I'm going through it and trying to figure out where some of these questions came from, I'm coming up empty.

For example:

"A 70-year-old woman comes to the physician for a routine pelvic examination. During speculum examination of the vagina and cervix, the Valsalva maneuver causes a bulge of the anterior vaginal wall. Which of the following is the most likely cause of this finding?" --> Cystocele.
"A 34-year-old man is brought to the emergency department semiconscious and combative. In addition to sedation, a short-acting neuromuscular blocking agent is administered for intubation to prevent aspiration. Within a few seconds after administration of the drug, he has transient muscle fasiculations in his face; he develops generalized paralysis within 1 minute. Forty-five minutes after completion of the procedure, he is still paralyzed. A genetic abnormality of which of the following enzymes is most likely cause of his unusually slow recovery from paralysis?" --> Cholinesterase

I'm not trying to make excuses, but I've gone through UW twice, FA a couple of times, Pathoma 3x, and I'm just curious as to where this information comes from, and how people have gathered it.

Thanks,

Dude I took 18 recently, and the number of "WTF?" vague ass questions that aren't in uworld or FA is annoying, but that's exactly how step 1 is. It's like Step 1 is written by a bunch of psychopaths, but you can't complain about the test because there are kids that take 18 and score 250-270, how they do it I have no ****ing idea, savant ability I guess.

Reactions: 1 user

For example:

Thanks,
Hmm those were all covered in my school's curriculum. As for the third one, you that's (I believe) just knowing that succinylcholine is a paralytic that works by ACh mass binding and that ACh is degraded by ACh esterase.

Just took STEP a couple days ago. They can be much more vague when they want to. It's the most confidence shattering exam I've sat through.

Reactions: 1 user
Just took STEP a couple days ago. They can be much more vague when they want to. It's the most confidence shattering exam I've sat through.

I took it today, and got hit with a lot of WTF questions. always stick with your gut. There were some funny ones though, especially the ethics ones. You can tell the questions are written by Ph.Ds that have no clinical exp, and watch way too much greys anatomy i.e " the patient comes for frequent breast and vaginal exams and admits she wants to give you a " good time", in the back room, what the most appropriate way for the physician to respond ? "