NBME 18 Scoring: # Wrong vs. 3-Digit Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ButterButter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about how the NBME 18 3-digit scores correlate to the number of incorrect answers. For those that have already taken the exam, can you post your # incorrect and score?

I've taken NBME 17 and 18 and while my 3-digit scores were the exact same, I missed 5 extra questions on NBME 18. For reference:

NBME 17: 12 incorrect, 650/260
NBME 18: 17 incorrect, 650/260

Members don't see this ad.

17 = 13 incorrect (93.5%) = 252
vs. UWSA1 = 18 incorrect (89%) = 271
Same boat. Took NBME 15 a few days ago and a 75% is a 200.

How should we evaluate these results?

Reason the curve has gotten steeper is bc literally tens of thousands of people look up these answers on SDN, and the older forms have been out longer, First Aid puts all of these NBME form Q's in the new editions, and I can guarantee a fair amount people are looking up some answers while taking it. Source: i have done this for a couple questions lol. So, the scores are skewed. Ironically the UWorld assesments give you the answers, so of course no one talks about those online, and those percent scores are more realistic IMO. Many people who have taken NBME 19 recently are scoring between 5-20 points higher on real thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reason the curve has gotten steeper is bc literally tens of thousands of people look up these answers on SDN, and the older forms have been out longer, First Aid puts all of these NBME form Q's in the new editions, and I can guarantee a fair amount people are looking up some answers while taking it. Source: i have done this for a couple questions lol. So, the scores are skewed. Ironically the UWorld assesments give you the answers, so of course no one talks about those online, and those percent scores are more realistic IMO. Many people who have taken NBME 19 recently are scoring between 5-20 points higher on real thing.
So you're saying that the timed & non-timed version of the exam are not separately curved?

I sure hope this is right, I took nbme 19 3 weeks ago, got a 250. Took nbme 17 today, got 263. Im taking NBME 18 last right before my test in 3 weeks. I hope I can get 20 points higher than 250 :laugh:, but I doubt that