NBME 3 help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qazplm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im stuck on a few q.

20. ???? pxt comes in with weakness in upper and lower extremities. Muscle stretch reflexes decreased In upper extremity and increased in lower extremities. He has no sensory loss. He has:
a. cystic lesion involving midline structures and both ventral horns in the cervical enlargement
b. Demyelination of the left corticospinal tract at all levels of the spinal cord
c. Lesion of the left anterolateral quadrant at c2
d. Loss of myelin in the dorsal column white matter
e. Loss of myelin in the lateral column white matter and loss of ventral horn motoneurons.
B or C

32 yr old man who doesn't smoke gets hit by a concrete slab. He has no fractures but has calcified small nodules in the lung. He has:
A. asbestos B. berrylosis C. Byssinosis D. industrial bronchitis E. Silicosis

Members don't see this ad.

qazplm said:
im stuck on a few q.

20. ???? pxt comes in with weakness in upper and lower extremities. Muscle stretch reflexes decreased In upper extremity and increased in lower extremities. He has no sensory loss. He has:
a. cystic lesion involving midline structures and both ventral horns in the cervical enlargement
b. Demyelination of the left corticospinal tract at all levels of the spinal cord
e. Loss of myelin in the lateral column white matter and loss of ventral horn motoneurons.
B or C

32 yr old man who doesn’t smoke gets hit by a concrete slab. He has no fractures but has calcified small nodules in the lung. He has:

Question 20 is E. This is a classic presentation for ALS (Lou Gehrig) with mixed UMN and LMN findings. There is loss of myelination in the lateral corticospinal tract and also loss of ventral motor neurons.

qazplm said:
im stuck on a few q.

B or C

32 yr old man who doesn’t smoke gets hit by a concrete slab. He has no fractures but has calcified small nodules in the lung. He has:

They're both E. As trudub said, the first is ALS, and the second one the guy works with concrete, concrete = silicosis, and the presentation of calcified small nodules is silicosis.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks....any chance at looking at the other q from the thread

1. which of the following in the EM is present in cardiac muscle not skeletal? (picure in the link) B?

2. Which of the following actions will be impaired if the nerve is cut? A?
A. Dorsiflexion of the foot
B. flexion of the leg
C. extension of the leg
D. inversion of the foot
E. plantar flexion of the foot

3. 2 drugs for txt of heart failure, X and Y. X has a cardic index of 2.5 with 95% CI of 1.5 to 3.5. Y has a cardiac index of 1.7 with 95% CI of .7 to 2.7. p=.1 significance. whats the liklihood that the mean Cardiac index of X and Y is due to chance?

A. 0
B. 2.5
C. 5
D. 7.5
E. 10
F. 66.6
G. 95

5. Normal area in brain is shown. 80% loss in stucture x (looks like Substania Nigra) will result in?
A. Basal forebrain
B. dentate nucleus
C. Hypothalamus
D. Straitum
E.Hippocampus

I can't look at the pics because I'm not a member of that site, but the answer to #1 is whatever item indicates gap junctions.

#3 is E, because the p-value is .10, which means 10% possibility of result being by chance.

qazplm said:
thanks....any chance at looking at the other q from the thread

1. which of the following in the EM is present in cardiac muscle not skeletal? (picure in the link) B?

2. Which of the following actions will be impaired if the nerve is cut? A?
A. Dorsiflexion of the foot
B. flexion of the leg
C. extension of the leg
D. inversion of the foot
E. plantar flexion of the foot

3. 2 drugs for txt of heart failure, X and Y. X has a cardic index of 2.5 with 95% CI of 1.5 to 3.5. Y has a cardiac index of 1.7 with 95% CI of .7 to 2.7. p=.1 significance. whats the liklihood that the mean Cardiac index of X and Y is due to chance?

A. 0
B. 2.5
C. 5
D. 7.5
E. 10
F. 66.6
G. 95

5. Normal area in brain is shown. 80% loss in stucture x (looks like Substania Nigra) will result in?
A. Basal forebrain
B. dentate nucleus
C. Hypothalamus
D. Straitum
E.Hippocampus

OP--regarding the question about the brain slice and the X pointing to the substantia nigra (SN). I believe the question was "A normal brain is shown. An 80% loss of neurons in the structure labeled X (SN) will create a state of disinhibition in which of the following areas of the brain?"

In which case the answer should be "striatum," since dcrs input from SN will lead to dcrs stimulation of direct pathway (normally facilitates mvmt) and dcrs INHIBITION of indirect pathway (normally inhibits mvmt).

Therefore, both GPi and GPe are unchecked, and left to tonically inhibit their bizzles. They are free and disinhibited.

--JD

Oh, and about that problem with X and Y bacteria. I think I put "transformation" as my answer. I thought this question was kinda tricky.

I don't think the answer is transduction, because I don't believe DNAse would affect viruses...at least the lambda phage I'm thinking about. I'm thinking there would be a protein capsule around the DNA (if it were carried by a virus vector) in which case DNAse would be powerless to digest it.

So transformation made the most sense to me, because naked DNA would just be in the environment and DNAse can digest it.

If anyone else has yays or nays, please post. I'd like to know the answer.

thanks for th replies. I agree that the #5 is striatum...since its a normal brain

i'm not sure about #4

and any idea about #1...is it B?