Nbme 4?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BUSM2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else taken the NBME 4? I took it yesterday (my first NBME) and only scored 410/195. I thought I was doing fairly well although I struggled with the last section. I was wondering how it compared to the other NBMEs and if you have taken Step 1, how it compared with that?

Also is there any way to find out what percentage of questions you actually got right? I know they don't give the answers, but I was hoping for something more than just a chart with boxes that span half the overall range.

Members don't see this ad.

i took NBME 2 and 4, but i haven't taken the real thing.

personally i thought NBME 4 was easier than 2, 2 had a LOT of WTF questions.
according to many people, NBME 4 is very similar to their real exam (but this really is YMMV)

NBME 4 is very heavy on biochem/molecular bio, so i guess that might be your weakness for now, spend a little more time on it and you will do just fine!

Thanks for the response. I am a little confused with my score though since I thought I did well on the first 3 sections and at least decent on the 4th section. I am routinely scoring in the mid- to low-70s on QBank now (probably for the last 300-400 questions), which from what I've been told seems to indicate a higher score than a 195.

BUSM2008 said:
Thanks for the response. I am a little confused with my score though since I thought I did well on the first 3 sections and at least decent on the 4th section. I am routinely scoring in the mid- to low-70s on QBank now (probably for the last 300-400 questions), which from what I've been told seems to indicate a higher score than a 195.

what is NBME?

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the Qbank score with a grain of salt. Its a great learning tool though. Many people on here were scoring in the 70s on qbank and weren't doing so hot on nbme. I think Qbank questions have a similar style and you can easily adapt to their type of questioning after you practice siginficantly and do fairly well towards the end. NBME and the actual USMLE I heard have a different way of asking questions that require tertiary thinking and sometimes ambiguous choices and many short recall questions too. Have you taken other NBMEs? See how you do on them and maybe average your score and that IMO will be a good predictor of your real score.

ive taken form 1,3, &4. I got almost the exact same form 4 score as i did form 1 even though I found form 1 much easier, AND i had taken it three weeks prior. Form 4 was definitely harder, and chock full of CMB stuff.

chintu said:
Have you taken other NBMEs? See how you do on them and maybe average your score and that IMO will be a good predictor of your real score.

I haven't taken any other NBMEs yet, but I'm planning on taking another one about 5 days before my Step 1. Hopefully it will go up. Any suggestions for a particular form to take? From what I've read, it seems like Form 1 is easier than Form 2, but I'm not sure if that is reflected in the score.

It reflected in my score a little (up 4 points on form 1); and I took form 2 and 1 on the same day, back-to-back.

I'm not sure if anybody is interested, but I took form 3 on Thursday and got a 560/232. Not an 800, but I figure it gives people some hope for improvement (up from a 410/195 less than a week earlier) with studying although I don't think all that difference is just from studying. One more week of studying left. . .

BUSM2008 said:
I'm not sure if anybody is interested, but I took form 3 on Thursday and got a 560/232. Not an 800, but I figure it gives people some hope for improvement (up from a 410/195 less than a week earlier) with studying although I don't think all that difference is just from studying. One more week of studying left. . .
Lol, I had the exact same change in scores, but from form 3 to form 1. excellent :thumbup:

Hearing about the variations in scores from different NBMEs it just seems to me that some are stronger in many areas than others and the subjects they emphasize more on the test reflects an individual's score accordingly. Does anyone really know if the actual USMLE score really reflects the NBME scores if so which one really? What are the chances that someone can improve 20points on the actual USMLE compared to any of the NBMEs?

I found form 4 is the hardeast among 4 forms. Lots of stuff I opened the books but could not answer the questions.