NBME 6 - doubt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrNarcissistic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently took NBME 6 for step 2 ck prep and have a doubt. I'll be happy if someone can help with the explanation to the answer

26yo F in ED with marked confusion for 2 hours; flu-like illness for 3 days. Over the past 6 weeks, Increased fatigue, weakness, and nausea. Recently started thyroid hormone replacement therapy for autoimmune thyroiditis; 1 week ago, her serum thyroid-stimulating hormone concentration was 3 uUmL. T 38C, BP 80/40, P 140/min. Appears confused and lethargic, with cool, mottled skin. Generalized hyperpigmentation, especially involving the palmar creases. Lungs clear. Labs show: Hb 10, WBC 9k (segmented PMNs 55%, eosinophils 20%, lymphocytes 25%); serum Na 124, Cl 92, K 6.4 HCO3 16. CXR and u/a normal. ECG shows sinus tachycardia with peaked T waves. Which to confirm cause?
Answer is: ACTH stimulation test

Options were:
  • Measurement of artery pressure
  • Measurement of right atrial pressure
  • Measurement of serum anti thyroglobulin antibody concentration
  • Measurement of serum LDH activity
  • Measurement of serum TSH
  • ACTH stimulation test
  • Dexamethasone supression test
  • Blood culture
  • Echocardiography
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I recently took NBME 6 for step 2 ck prep and have a doubt. I'll be happy if someone can help with the explanation to the answer

26yo F in ED with marked confusion for 2 hours; flu-like illness for 3 days. Over the past 6 weeks, Increased fatigue, weakness, and nausea. Recently started thyroid hormone replacement therapy for autoimmune thyroiditis; 1 week ago, her serum thyroid-stimulating hormone concentration was 3 uUmL. T 38C, BP 80/40, P 140/min. Appears confused and lethargic, with cool, mottled skin. Generalized hyperpigmentation, especially involving the palmar creases. Lungs clear. Labs show: Hb 10, WBC 9k (segmented PMNs 55%, eosinophils 20%, lymphocytes 25%); serum Na 124, Cl 92, K 6.4 HCO3 16. CXR and u/a normal. ECG shows sinus tachycardia with peaked T waves. Which to confirm cause?
Answer is: ACTH stimulation test

Options were:
  • Measurement of artery pressure
  • Measurement of right atrial pressure
  • Measurement of serum anti thyroglobulin antibody concentration
  • Measurement of serum LDH activity
  • Measurement of serum TSH
  • ACTH stimulation test
  • Dexamethasone supression test
  • Blood culture
  • Echocardiography
Thanks in advance!

My thought process was hypotension + pigmentation + hyponatremia + hyperkalemia = Addison's disease

What part did you doubt?