NBME Accommodations Denial

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

huskygirl123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Medical Students and Physicians,

I've been a longtime sufferer of ADHD and dyslexia and have been receiving accommodations through college and medical school. I did not apply for accommodations for the MCAT in fear of discrimination and now I regret it. I took the MCAT twice and even then I did not finish any sections and had to select the lucky "C" for at least 2 passages a piece. I applied for NBME accommodations for Step 1 and was DENIED :(
I've sent them the most complete application I could initially and was advised that appeals are rarely granted. Any advice on what I should do? Would it be helpful to get a lawyer involved without actually having to file a law suit?
Without equitable access to this test, I've doubts I'd pass this test, and if I do, I'm afraid my grade will be extremely low and not properly reflect my knowledge or abilities as a physician.

Members don't see this ad.

I created an account just to respond to this post. I have ADHD and OCD; just got my denial today and completely unsure of what to do now.

I heard about a girl with dyslexia who failed all 3 steps the first time and only passed on the second attempt but worked her ass off in a radiology dept and got offered a residency. I know the anecdote isn't of much help but when cards are stacked against you, you have to compensate somehow. Hope you guys find a way.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Most recent thread I can find....wanted to add I was recently denied. I gave them everything (maybe too much information). They even cited the fact that I finished college was grounds for not needing the accommodations. But ignored the multiple failures, academic probations, and always needing a tutor to help me out. I'm not sure about appealing. :-/

Most recent thread I can find....wanted to add I was recently denied. I gave them everything (maybe too much information). They even cited the fact that I finished college was grounds for not needing the accommodations. But ignored the multiple failures, academic probations, and always needing a tutor to help me out. I'm not sure about appealing. :-/
I just applied for an accommodation, but I had an accommodation for MCAT. Did you have an MCAT accommodation?

I took the MCAT twice and even then I did not finish any sections and had to select the lucky "C" for at least 2 passages a piece. I applied for NBME accommodations for Step 1 and was DENIED :(
Welcome to my world. I'm a European student (my native language is Italian) and there's like a extra step I have to process all info through - translator in my head - it gets really annoying when I'm behind my classmates during readings of text etc. It takes me a lot longer to just read, translate and process info on foreign to me language. At least English is your native language you know. I wish I was allowed extra time, but I'm not as lucky as you ADHD folks that can request accommodations. No one will grant me accommodations just because it takes me twice as long to read everything.

This sounds like the type of discriminatory action that could lead to a very successful lawsuit, maybe even class action - if y’all have documentation as solid as you say. If even your school can’t do anything, I’d pursue legal steps against NBME

I just applied for an accommodation, but I had an accommodation for MCAT. Did you have an MCAT accommodation?
Just to update everyone, I requested 50% extra time, which I received for the MCAT, but was given 25% extra time by NBME. It is something, but they are definitely tougher than the MCAT. I will be challenged to overprepare, but I have been doing that all through med school anyway to keep up. With hordes of documentation and Neuropsych testing (I had testing done every 3 years for about a decade), accommodations are possible.

Hey,
Any advise about appealing a denial decision for test accommodations from NBME - STEP1.

Thanks

Hello everybody,

I would like to get evaluated to certify that I require testing accommodations for my medical board exams since I have ADHD. I do have a psychiatrist, but apparently, the required tests are mainly done by Clinical Psychologists.
<edited for anonymity>

Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Thank you

P.S. if this post breaks the rules of this forum please feel free to cancel it.
Lol you are not going to find opinion on some specific doctor here on sdn. To be honest it doesn't matter. What matters is what type of disability you have (it has to be severe and has to severely affect your everyday life, e.g. just an adhd will not cut it) and what exactly will doctor document after your tests are done. BTW those tests are very expensive (like $3-4k and there's still no guarantee). Add to that a lawyer cost - you are going to reduce your chances getting accommodations if you are not hiring a lawyer. That's another $1k. So you'll be looking at about $4-5k to begin with and still have no guarantee whatsoever. NBME looks for history of accommodations starting from elementary school. In addition you have to have prescribed medications for your disability and extensive therapy done to you through the course of your life. Without all that - chances are very low that you will be granted accommodation.

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been two recent cases settled or decided against the NBME since the last post here, and the accommodations issue is being considered by the AMA House of Delegates tomorrow 6/16/21. Don't give up. AMA does have considerable power to influence, and the issues of Health Equity and of Inclusion in Medicine are very high priorities for the organization. If you have illustrative stories regarding your request for accommodations, now might be the time to reopen this thread.

Attachments

• 19 BERGER v. NBME No. 1_19-cv-99. _ 20190903896 _ Leagle.com.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 218
  • 19 RAMSAY v. NATIONAL BOARD _ Civil Action No. 19... _ 20191231e13_ Leagle.com.pdf
    600.1 KB · Views: 199
  • 11 Romberg SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE UNITED STATES AND NATIONAL BOARD OF MEDICAL EXAMIN...pdf
    482.7 KB · Views: 160
There have been two recent cases settled or decided against the NBME since the last post here, and the accommodations issue is being considered by the AMA House of Delegates tomorrow 6/16/21. Don't give up. AMA does have considerable power to influence, and the issues of Health Equity and of Inclusion in Medicine are very high priorities for the organization. If you have illustrative stories regarding your request for accommodations, now might be the time to reopen this thread.