NBME and The Real Thing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know everyone says that the NBME assessment exams correlate with the real exam extremely close. Anyone of you failed the NBME assessement exam(s), but passed the real thing?

Members don't see this ad.

I know everyone says that the NBME assessment exams correlate with the real exam extremely close. Anyone of you failed the NBME assessement exam(s), but passed the real thing?

There are several people that posted failed NBME's yet still passed the USMLE. More of them than those that post passing NBME's with failed USMLE's, anyhow.

Depends on which test you took.

Form 3 and 4 are supposedly more difficult and correspond to a lower than expected USMLE score. I only took Form 3 myself, and I certainly did better on the real thing. But I had over a month between that point and the real test date.

Bear in mind that the NBME itself says all over its site that these tests are not meant to predict how you will do on the actual exam. While some people (not "everyone") found the NBME tests to be decent indicators, a lot of people on here actually found that the scores indicated did not correlate particularly well with the actual scores (in one direction or the other). Use them for practice, particularly for timing, but I wouldn't read too much into how you score.

Bear in mind that the NBME itself says all over its site that these tests are not meant to predict how you will do on the actual exam. While some people (not "everyone") found the NBME tests to be decent indicators, a lot of people on here actually found that the scores indicated did not correlate particularly well with the actual scores (in one direction or the other). Use them for practice, particularly for timing, but I wouldn't read too much into how you score.

That disclaimer is as laughable as those don't put these in your ear statements that comes with every box of q-tips. Why would NBME give you a score conversion chart if predicting score wasn't one of the goals of the tests? In my experience there is no better predictor of your score than performance on the NBME tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
That disclaimer is as laughable as those don't put these in your ear statements that comes with every box of q-tips. Why would NBME give you a score conversion chart if predicting score wasn't one of the goals of the tests? In my experience there is no better predictor of your score than performance on the NBME tests.

Those people for whom it was accurate will think this and those people for whom it was not won't. The fact that there are two such camps, and the fact that NBME doesn't put much stock in the predictive value of it's own tests should tell you (OP) something.

Oh, I hope I pass my USMLE Step 1. I did HORRIBLE on my assessment exams! :scared: If I pass, then I'll be prime example that NBME exams don't correlate with the real deal!