Quantcast

NBME Basic Sci Comprehensive v. Step 1

Achieve USMLE Step PREP Success | Picmonic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babinski bob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the correlation is between the NBME Basic Science Comprehesive exam and Step 1? Maybe some of you could list your NBME score, USMLE score, and the time in between taking the 2 exams. I'm just curious because our deans say they can basically "predict" how we'll do on step 1 based on our NBME scores.

neilc

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
are you talking about the nbme self assesment exam? i took both of them. first one was around a 400 (mean 500, i forget SD) second was 480 (i took about 5 days before the usmle.

on the real deal i got 192/78. i was very surprised, i at least thought i would be close to the mean. i think most people did better on the usmle than the assessment.

babinski bob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if i remember correctly, he basically said he could predict w/i 10 pts peoples' step 1 scores.

But in any case, I'd appreciate more people posting their nbme + usmle scores and time in between tests like neil did...

neilc

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
as for what i used...well, i think that is where i screwed up. i used first aid, q-bank and several other books....to many to list, and that is the problem.

i would recommend first aid, q-bank, pathophysiology for the boards and wards and brs path. if you know everything in those books, you should do very, very well. the only other book i would really consider would be a hi-yeild behav. sci.

hope that helps

Cristagali

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks Neil. I'm using FA, BRS patho, BRS Behavioral, and Q-Bank. I've had to fill in alot of stuff on FA, but I think it's covers most material. good luck on 2.

neilc

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cristagali
Thanks Neil. I'm using FA, BRS patho, BRS Behavioral, and Q-Bank. I've had to fill in alot of stuff on FA, but I think it's covers most material. good luck on 2.

sounds like you got it covered! i would highly recommend that you check out pathophys for the boards and wards, tho. i loved that book! it is a good one to keep handy for stolen study moments, very high yeild....i am sure you will kill step 1.

Cristagali

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the vote of confidence. What were your averages starting and ending on Q-bank? Did you do the one month or Three month plan? Thanks

neilc

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my q-bank started around 50% and by the end was high 60's low 70's. i did still have a few 50% blocks, but they were offset by some 80-90% blocks as well. i am still very surprised with my score on step 1.

i did the 1 month q-bank, if i remember correctly.

Fermi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school administered the NBME basic sciences exam at the beginning of April, before most students started reviewing for Step 1. I'd say it is a very good predictor of Step 1 content and timing, although it was a paper test instead of CBT. The school gave us a correlation scale to relate our score to what we would have gotten on the real Step 1. I think I got about a 200on that scale; they said you could figure an increase of 30 points on your actual Step 1 if you studied really well. I went up by more than 30 points, but I took an extra few weeks to study.

To the point, I think the NBME basic sciences exam was a better predictor of Step 1 content, pacing and performance than either QBank (too hard/picky/slower pacing) or the 150 USMLE Released Items (too easy/simplistic).

MCG

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thats encouraging Fermi, may I ask what the original correlation your school gave was, a 70 on NBME comprehensive=mean on USMLE?, thanks

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.