NBME exam 2 as diagnostic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4CDirect

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read from you guys that the NBME exam 1 score reflects your true USMLE Score better than exam 2. I am thinking about taking exam 2 in the next few days as a diagnostic exam to see which area I should be focusing more on and then take exam 1 one week before my test date. Is this a good idea?

I have 3 weeks to study, just in case someone is wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

4CDirect said:
I read from you guys that the NBME exam 1 score reflects your true USMLE Score better than exam 2. I am thinking about taking exam 2 in the next few days as a diagnostic exam to see which area I should be focusing more on and then take exam 1 one week before my test date. Is this a good idea?

I have 3 weeks to study, just in case someone is wondering.

I took form A about 6 weeks ago and scored a 460 (209) on it. I took form B today and scored a 600 (240). I take step 1 on Monday so I am hoping form B is predictive of what my actual score will be.

smgilles said:
I took form A about 6 weeks ago and scored a 460 (209) on it. I took form B today and scored a 600 (240). I take step 1 on Monday so I am hoping form B is predictive of what my actual score will be.

Good luck on the exam! :thumbup:

I took both, scored a 460 on both. Ended up with a 233.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, pretty much lowered my expectations going into the exam.

I was hoping to score a 215-225 or so. I was pretty much looking to get at least an avg score.

I just took form B today and scored 460 with three weeks left. I hope I can pull it up in three weeks!! A little scared though. I will probably take form A 1 week before so I think it is a good way to go.

Is that the order that is recommended? Form B before Form A? Just curious, im going to take one next tuesday about 3 weeks before the usmle and another about 1 week away. by the way im really starting to freak out. I was doing pretty good on Qbank (70's) now im back down to 60-65, not sure what happend but im getting dumber the more i study.

I just noticed the trend of people saying Form A was more predictive maybe of Step 1. In regards to the Q bank thing, it happens. I was buzzing along at like 65-70, anf then all of a sudden I had a 48 :eek: , 50, and 55, go figure. I think when it's all said and done, stress is going to be the real enemy, kick back relax and stop fighting your brain, it already has too much to do. ;)

Possibly a really dumb and obvious question here, but maybe that's from doing too much QBank :) :

So in saying that the NBME exams correlate with one's Step 1 score, are they implying that the actual exam will be similar in both content and style? I'm really hoping so, because I did form A a few days ago and did fairly well, but am getting killed in QBank. :smuggrin: Any thoughts?

Thanks all for the input. I haven't done either form, but will probably do form B first before form A. Each of them cost $45, right? Or both for $45?

I am getting killed on QBank as well (can't break the 60% mark!). It feels as if nothing is retaining, especially the Pharm!