NBME exam...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lata

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just took nbme exam 1 -- did terrible in it... i feel like such an idiot :( so tell me people - i got 2 weeks left... anyone been in this situation and pulled out of it?? i'm scared of usmle now.. before i was but i was doing well in q bank, etc so i wasn't :scared: but now i am.
tell me what did u use to do better. i got FA and kaplan books!

Members don't see this ad.

I never took the NBME exams before Step One, so I can't really help you. I just wanted to jump in and tell a story that you reminded me of, because it's all about me. Anyway, when I was studying for the MCAT, I was pretty half-hearted about it. I studied a few hours a day for like two weeks--but was just totally confident. Never took a practice test, didn't feel like I needed to. The day before my exam, I decided "Hey, what the hell, I'll take a practice exam... give me an extra confidence boost..." I got something like a 20 on it. I don't think I've ever been so horrified in my life. I seriously considered just not showing up for the test. Couldn't sleep that night. So I know what you're going through... anyway I ended up doing very well on the MCAT, and even though I never really got to the point where I was killing qBank for Step One, I ended up doing very well on Step One too. Mostly this is more about self-promotion than about making you feel better, but if that was accomplished also then so much the better.

I have a friend who's NBME score drastically underestimated his actual Step 1 score (which he took two weeks later). I'm sure there are instances of the reverse as well, but in any case, don't consider yourself doomed. Just don't give up. Good luck.

Krony said:
I have a friend who's NBME score drastically underestimated his actual Step 1 score (which he took two weeks later). I'm sure there are instances of the reverse as well, but in any case, don't consider yourself doomed. Just don't give up. Good luck.

never give up...never ever give up!
rooting for ya!
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad :)
sacrament said:
I never took the NBME exams before Step One, so I can't really help you. ..because it's all about me. .... Mostly this is more about self-promotion than about making you feel better, but if that was accomplished also then so much the better.

:laugh: :laugh: well that definitely made me laugh and get over this funk :D
maybe u r naturally brilliant sacrament :eek: :p

good that u did well. i hope i can do this... it's just very depressing right now since i only have 2 weeks left. i guess nothing else to do but study in a better way... thank you for the laugh :thumbup: :D

streetdoc said:
never give up...never ever give up!
rooting for ya!
streetdoc
streetdoc and krony thank you for the encouragement... i'm just feeling lost i guess because i thought that i was studying as i should but apparently i'm not studying with enough detail!! :laugh:

lata said:
just took nbme exam 1 -- did terrible in it... i feel like such an idiot :( so tell me people - i got 2 weeks left... anyone been in this situation and pulled out of it?? i'm scared of usmle now.. before i was but i was doing well in q bank, etc so i wasn't :scared: but now i am.
tell me what did u use to do better. i got FA and kaplan books!
I think the NBME form 1 (for step 1) estimates your score more accurately than form 2. But, you can be assured that your score will be at least a few points higher than your form 1 score. Plus if you have 2 weeks left, you will def. gain some high yield info. during that time.

Peeshee said:
I think the NBME form 1 (for step 1) estimates your score more accurately than form 2. But, you can be assured that your score will be at least a few points higher than your form 1 score. Plus if you have 2 weeks left, you will def. gain some high yield info. during that time.

I hope form 2 is accurate. I just took it today and it has predicted around a 240 step 1. I take the exam on Monday so I guess we will know for certain soon enough.

smgilles said:
I hope form 2 is accurate. I just took it today and it has predicted around a 240 step 1. I take the exam on Monday so I guess we will know for certain soon enough.

Both forms are very accurate and will def. predict your score well. I just thought form 1 was closer to the actual score.