NBME form 1 = easy cheesy???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TacoGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took from 1 from the NBME. I got a 254!!! I still have several weeks of studying left so I was not expecting this high of a score!

I've heard this test is too easy and not representative of the real deal. Should I kick back and relax or not take this score too seriously?

Anybody out there have an idea?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

So you think that your last test was more clinical orienteted?
On your first test did you felt you FAIL the test, when you were coming out of the exam room?

Did you see the same concepts ask?

So you think that your last test was more clinical orienteted?
On your first test did you felt you FAIL the test, when you were coming out of the exam room?

Did you see the same concepts ask?
Yes, I felt like I failed walking out of the first exam. As I was taking it, I kept thinking, "I don't know what books they were reading when they wrote this exam because I sure didn't read the same ones." And I read all of the usual ones--from Kaplan to Gojlan to MBMRS to FA. The second one was not easy per se, but it had a lot of HY concepts that made it very doable. I don't think that I could have passed the first one open book! I tried to look up some of the answers afterwards, but it took a lot of digging on the internet for some of the answers. I just wish I could recall some of the things. The second one had a balance of everything--not just more clinically-oriented. The first one felt like I had taken the wrong test. I am just glad I got a fair shake now. It's disheartening to know that I now have this blip on my "record", but I will move beyond it and find a residency somehow.

Oh yeah, 2nd exam looked just like USMLE World questions. I did Kaplan Qbank and some of UW before exam 1, and nothing looked similar. So when you hear people say, "Step 1 is just like UW", you may be saying, "Yeah, that's true", or you may think, "No way", especially if you got the "version" that I had the first time. Point being: these exams can be very different both in terms of content and level of difficulty.

Since I started this thread originally, I guess I'll give the follow up:

final USMLE score: 258

Members don't see this ad :)
Since I started this thread originally, I guess I'll give the follow up:

final USMLE score: 258
Cheers to a job well done! Way to go! I think my 2nd attempt may be more predictive, though I didn't take any of the 2, 3, or 4th forms.