NBME Form 2/4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetTonics

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I would very much appreciate input/advice regarding my NBME scores. I took Form 2 a few weeks before studying and scored a 202 (i.e. the USMLE equivalent, not the NBME score).
Roughly 4 weeks into studying, I took form 4 and scored a 218. UWorld average (all random, timed 44q blocks) around that time was ~68% and I had been scoring in the 70-80s consistently. I've finished UW with an avg of 71% and the avg for my last 15 exams @ roughly 77%

I've heard that NBME forms are fairly representative, and I'm at a loss. I've been using MTB/SUTM and UW with some supplementation from Kaplan. I don't know what I'm missing. I had planned on purchasing DIT, but due to time constraints, decided not to. I'm doing my Sub-I in medicine and taking the exam on Jul 9. Granted, not the best scenario, but didn't have a choice. With no time off, do you have any (realistic) advice for supplemental material or otherwise? My goal is a 245+ and my Step 1 was a 238

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same boat. I have been scoring around in the mid to high 60s in uworld but totally bombed the NBME 4 form. WTF...

To me, the questions did not have the same "feel" as uworld questions. To me, it seems like there were a lot less hints in the question stem than world.

I was aiming to score to above average on this exam but with about a week to go it doesn't look so promising.

Hello everyone

I would very much appreciate input/advice regarding my NBME scores. I took Form 2 a few weeks before studying and scored a 202 (i.e. the USMLE equivalent, not the NBME score).
Roughly 4 weeks into studying, I took form 4 and scored a 218. UWorld average (all random, timed 44q blocks) around that time was ~68% and I had been scoring in the 70-80s consistently. I've finished UW with an avg of 71% and the avg for my last 15 exams @ roughly 77%

I've heard that NBME forms are fairly representative, and I'm at a loss. I've been using MTB/SUTM and UW with some supplementation from Kaplan. I don't know what I'm missing. I had planned on purchasing DIT, but due to time constraints, decided not to. I'm doing my Sub-I in medicine and taking the exam on Jul 9. Granted, not the best scenario, but didn't have a choice. With no time off, do you have any (realistic) advice for supplemental material or otherwise? My goal is a 245+ and my Step 1 was a 238

Thanks in advance

I can't speak about Form 4, but I took Form 2 this weekend (6 days into my dedicated study for boards). I too, found it very difficult, although I scored pretty well (610/256). I agree that there were far fewer "hints" and a lot less information given than in UWorld. I have been doing UWorld and doing pretty well. I did it once through during the school year and averaged 70% doing dedicated blocks for each rotation. Since I've started studying for boards, about I've completed about 40% with an average of 80% on timed random. The only thing I am supplementing UWorld with is Secrets and Step Up 2 Medicine. I will read the non-medicine chapters in First Aid after this. I feel that you are using the correct resources. You may want to think about adding Secrets. I think it is a great book. Also, you may want to add something else to supplement for psych/peds/ob, although I am not familiar with MTB. My main advice would be to stick with what you are doing and to do as many UWorld Questions as you can. According to your Step 1 score, you are capable of doing well if you just stick with it and hammer UWorld! I would take the UWorld Self-Assessment as well to get a better idea of where you stand about a week out. Good luck!

Is there any consensus at all on which NMBE practice Step 2's are the best to take?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't speak about Form 4, but I took Form 2 this weekend (6 days into my dedicated study for boards). I too, found it very difficult, although I scored pretty well (610/256). I agree that there were far fewer "hints" and a lot less information given than in UWorld. I have been doing UWorld and doing pretty well. I did it once through during the school year and averaged 70% doing dedicated blocks for each rotation. Since I've started studying for boards, about I've completed about 40% with an average of 80% on timed random. The only thing I am supplementing UWorld with is Secrets and Step Up 2 Medicine. I will read the non-medicine chapters in First Aid after this. I feel that you are using the correct resources. You may want to think about adding Secrets. I think it is a great book. Also, you may want to add something else to supplement for psych/peds/ob, although I am not familiar with MTB. My main advice would be to stick with what you are doing and to do as many UWorld Questions as you can. According to your Step 1 score, you are capable of doing well if you just stick with it and hammer UWorld! I would take the UWorld Self-Assessment as well to get a better idea of where you stand about a week out. Good luck!

Thanks for your input...I don't know what my problem is! On my 2nd round of UW and I'm glad I'm remembering concepts more than I am the questions, but having just done it, it'll be hard to gauge "progress" this time around.
I like my sources...it took some time to narrow them down, but I'm happy with them in the end. I'll try Secrets too I suppose. SUTM is a brilliant source for medicine and some parts of surgery. MTB is focused and I like the embedded questions, but the OB/GYN/Peds sections were a superficial overview, at best. I don't know - I ended up with 70+ percent in those 2 sections on UW the first time around, so I guess MTB wasn't all that bad.. As for psych and biostats, I'm praying to the USMLE powers that be those sections won't be weighted too heavily.

I've postponed the test til Jul 25th and will take the UWSA next week.....what's your take on purchasing another NBME? Better diagnostic value?
Thanks again for your feedback and good luck to you!

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't use UWorld percentages the second time around to judge my performance. I treat UWorld as a learning tool and self-assessments and NMBEs as a marker of my progress. I think you hit the nail on the head when you talked about grasping the "concepts." I think that's the most important thing. If your test isn't until July 25th, I think you definitely have time to do some more self-assessments. I also think that the more you do, the more accurately they give you an idea of where you stand. One may be an anomaly, but three to four are more likely to be accurate.

Another plug for secrets - also has good psych and biostats sections, so if you are weak in those areas that's even more reason to read it. With your test date pushed back, you could easily have it read a couple times by then. Good luck!