Step II NBME may change CS score requirement for passing

Started by Tajima
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Instead of grading Step 2 CS as a Pass / Fail, they should score it on a continuum. Like get a grade from a low J to a high T.

Then the interview committees could give it the same amount of attention and consideration that committees previously gave other exams scored J-T.
 
Instead of grading Step 2 CS as a Pass / Fail, they should score it on a continuum. Like get a grade from a low J to a high T.

Then the interview committees could give it the same amount of attention and consideration that committees previously gave other exams scored J-T.

Does that mean it would entirely disappear in a few years after that change? 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why can't they report that score in < 1month?

It's weird that CS exam got me really worried when everyone is saying it's not that difficult...
if you look at the reporting schedule for CS on usmle website and take CS during the last week of that reporting period you will only wait 4-5 weeks for results.
 
if you look at the reporting schedule for CS on usmle website and take CS during the last week of that reporting period you will only wait 4-5 weeks for results.

There's a score reporting window. Not everyone will receive their score on the first date that scores can be released. If you take it close to the end of the testing period, you may get your score a little later.

i.e. for the testing period July 17 - Sept 10, the score reporting window is Oct 12 - Nov 9. If you take the test Sept 10, there's no guarantee you'll get your score on Oct 12. NBME would have until Nov 9 to get your score to you.
 
There's a score reporting window. Not everyone will receive their score on the first date that scores can be released. If you take it close to the end of the testing period, you may get your score a little later.

i.e. for the testing period July 17 - Sept 10, the score reporting window is Oct 12 - Nov 9. If you take the test Sept 10, there's no guarantee you'll get your score on Oct 12. NBME would have until Nov 9 to get your score to you.
yeah your right but the majority come out on the first wednesday and 98-99% by the third. all i was saying is if you take CS towards the end of the testing period you will wait significantly less guranteed
 
Your HPI has to also include ROS, PMH, FH, SH, Meds, Allergies, etc. You only have 950 characters (including spaces, and I think hard returns count as 2 characters) to do all of that.

Patient Note Entry Form
I see... I just purchased FA step2 CS book and I was shocked to see how short the notes are since I was told I need to be able to type at least 40 wpm to pass CS. Well, I guess they might be right since one will be very nervous when writing these notes.
 
I see... I just purchased FA step2 CS book and I was shocked to see how short the notes are since I was told I need to be able to type at least 40 wpm to pass CS. Well, I guess they might be right since one will be very nervous when writing these notes.

Good prep and you shouldn't be too nervous. I think having a calm attitude on test day made my day go well. FWIW, I type 70-80 wpm and I usually had 1-2 minutes to review the note depending on the case. They're nice enough to provide you with a practice note which is identical to what you'll see on test day, so you can time yourself and practice to your heart's content.
 
  • Like
Reactions: W19
Your HPI has to also include ROS, PMH, FH, SH, Meds, Allergies, etc. You only have 950 characters (including spaces, and I think hard returns count as 2 characters) to do all of that.

Patient Note Entry Form
Practice with this patient note entry form a lot.

The thing that got me wasn't the character limit, it was the line limit. I think the note is 15 lines maximum. So you have to learn to consolidate lines, stuffing FH and SH on a line, or maybe Meds and Alergies together as necessary to keep yourself under the line limit.
 
  • Like
Reactions: W19
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Practice with this patient note entry form a lot.

The thing that got me wasn't the character limit, it was the line limit. I think the note is 15 lines maximum. So you have to learn to consolidate lines, stuffing FH and SH on a line, or maybe Meds and Alergies together as necessary to keep yourself under the line limit.

Yeah I never made hard returns. They don't care if you just lump it all in 1 paragraph.