NBME on the real thing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haku

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering, for those of you who actually took the step 1s, were there actual questions from the nbmes on the test, or was it more to get a feel for what the test is like? I have less than two weeks left, and all I want to do is PASS, but after taking the free nbme i'm not so sure I will. My kaplan qbank varies from mid 50s to upper 60s, but on that I averaged a 59 which is baaarely passing according to that website. Is it better to keep reading first aid over and my kaplan books, or do the nbmes? Please HELP! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the NBME's exams were useful to gauge were you stood but were not a useful study aid. So, for studying purposes, IMHO, you could spent your time better with study aids other than the NBME exams.

I'd do the NBMEs since the style of questions on the actual exam is very similar. In fact, I remember a question that was exactly the same except they had changed the microorganism. If you are worried about not passing, it might be worthwhile to do an assessment to see where you stand, a little over one week before.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just really scared that i'll do the nbme's and start memorizing the wrong answers though. Is there anywhere where the answers are posted?

The NBMEs are assessments, but you're in need of solidifying the material. 2 weeks is time enough to add tremendously to your score. I'd say study really really really hard for a week, and take another NBME.

www.prep4usmle.com has discussions for nearly all questions if you search their forums. NBME questions have also been discussed here on SDN.. for example, two threads in the past couple of weeks going through the questions from NBME forms 1 & 2 that are on the web.

Thanks so much, and my school will let me delay it for four more days, so I may do that and do a couple of the NBMEs as well to make sure that I am passing. I got sick for two weeks in the middle of my studying and stopped completely, so i forgot everything I studied since may, which is why I had to take a rotation off. But i think this should help, and hopefully the website will have the NBME answers as it seems like the real thing will likely be more like that than qbank and i may be wasting my time with that (i'm only 67% done that, but its a great learning tool).

Haku said:
Hey, I was wondering, for those of you who actually took the step 1s, were there actual questions from the nbmes on the test, or was it more to get a feel for what the test is like? I have less than two weeks left, and all I want to do is PASS, but after taking the free nbme i'm not so sure I will. My kaplan qbank varies from mid 50s to upper 60s, but on that I averaged a 59 which is baaarely passing according to that website. Is it better to keep reading first aid over and my kaplan books, or do the nbmes? Please HELP! :scared:

As far as having actual qs from NBME on the test the answer is a blanket no. {although some may be similar}And secondly Ive said this numerous times "there are no easy ways to succeed in this medical arena!"