NBME reflective of step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

Reborn24

In terms of level of difficulty?

Members don't see this ad.

So, for those who have taken Form 3 and Step 1, how close was your score between the two. I ask because I rocked Form 3 and I am afraid to get too happy if the scores don't correlate. Step 1 is on Saturday.....

Members don't see this ad :)
So, for those who have taken Form 3 and Step 1, how close was your score between the two. I ask because I rocked Form 3 and I am afraid to get too happy if the scores don't correlate. Step 1 is on Saturday.....

Best of luck on the beast this weekend. You'll do great. :thumbup:

Thanks guitarguy, I will post on here how it went when I am done. I will be a nervous wreck for the next 3-5 weeks though waiting for scores...

I think it went well! It wasn't the big scary monster that my nightmares sometimes built it up to be. Towards the end of section 5, I started getting realllllly tired of it, hehe. The endurance factor is definitely one to consider...i.e. try your best to slow down and focus towards the end!

Ok, I posted this question on another thread, but I didn't get a response and somehow my post seems to have vanished...but can anyone explain these NBME exams? What are they? How many different ones are there? How much are they? When do you normally take them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!! :thumbup: So when do you normally take them? I've heard that it's kind of common practice to take one maybe a week before the exam. But it seems like that's cutting it kind of close. I guess if by then you aren't prepared, then you certainly wouldn't be in a week. But it still seems a little close. Do people generally take all four forms? Is there a difference in the difficulty of the forms?

Thanks!! :thumbup: So when do you normally take them? I've heard that it's kind of common practice to take one maybe a week before the exam. But it seems like that's cutting it kind of close. I guess if by then you aren't prepared, then you certainly wouldn't be in a week. But it still seems a little close. Do people generally take all four forms? Is there a difference in the difficulty of the forms?

You have to balance the use of these tests as an assessment tool versus a learning tool. For assessment, taking them earlier benefits you cuz you'll know where your weaknesses are. For learning, any questions they use on these practice tests are fair game for Step 1 proper - which would make you want to take them late in the game since it'll be fresh in your brain.

I can see no reason not to take all 4.

As for order or difficulty of the 4 forms, there are several other threads on that topic, try a search. I take this mother in a week so I'll offer my opinions then.

You have to balance the use of these tests as an assessment tool versus a learning tool. For assessment, taking them earlier benefits you cuz you'll know where your weaknesses are. For learning, any questions they use on these practice tests are fair game for Step 1 proper - which would make you want to take them late in the game since it'll be fresh in your brain.

As for order or difficulty of the 4 forms, there are several other threads on that topic, try a search. I take this mother in a week so I'll offer my opinions then.

Good Luck!! :luck:

Just took Step 1 today and I thought the NBME's were pretty representative of the real thing, but the real thing is slightly harder. Form 3 was the most similiar, but I did not take 4 so I can't tell you...

Just took Step 1 today and I thought the NBME's were pretty representative of the real thing, but the real thing is slightly harder. Form 3 was the most similiar, but I did not take 4 so I can't tell you...
I'm sure you did well! Are you going to post your experience in the 2007 Step1 thread?

Thanks. And Good Luck!

I just took the NBME Comprehensive offered by my med school today. Of course we don't get our results immediately, but I'm curious if anyone knows, how does that stack up to step I?
Our student affairs office didn't give us too much info on how that tells you how much you need to study.

I just took the NBME Comprehensive offered by my med school today. Of course we don't get our results immediately, but I'm curious if anyone knows, how does that stack up to step I?
Our student affairs office didn't give us too much info on how that tells you how much you need to study.

Did you just not read any of the above posts about how the NBME's stack up to the real thing? Seriously, that is what this entire thread is about and several people have commented comparing them.

Did you just not read any of the above posts about how the NBME's stack up to the real thing? Seriously, that is what this entire thread is about and several people have commented comparing them.

Depsite the condencenting nature of your response please allow me to clarify my question. The exam I took was not the self assement exams purchased off of NMBE's website. If it's the same, fine, I was curious if it was not. Does your med school not offer a practice exam?

Sorry, I am still in the post- Step 1 panic mode. Yes- we took a comprehensive exam at the end of first year and the same 200 question exam just before we started studying for boards. I think that the questions were representative. I got a 165? on the first one and a 210 on the second one. Then after about 4 weeks of studying I went up to a 234 on an NBME exam. So, I would say that it is representative as far as score predicting goes as I seemed to improve after studying. Our school spouted off that this is highly predictive of how you would do if you took step one right now. It is hard to say how predictive that exam actually is. Step 1 was slightly harder than that test and the NBME's. That could have been the nerves, length etc.. I will let you know how predictive they were for me in another 4 weeks or so when I get my scores back as I took the exam you are referring to twice and 3 of the NBME's- including one four days prior to Step 1.

gave my form1, 3weeks before real one. got 242
then gave form3, 8days before real one . got 232 ( yes its not the right thing but i didnt took it that way, i only looked for the Qs and timing)

gave step1 on april 6 th got score yesturday , got 249(99)

so form 1 was more reflective for me

thanks every one
keep posting

Are there forms that are more heavy on a particular subject (i.e., cell bio, biochem, anatomy) than others and possibly could explain the difference in what people think are more predictive?

Are there forms that are more heavy on a particular subject (i.e., cell bio, biochem, anatomy) than others and possibly could explain the difference in what people think are more predictive?

From what I've read on SDN, form 4 seems to be the heaviest in cell/molec. It seems that most people think that Form 3 is the most similar to the actual test.

When taking these exams, do you only get a score and assessment? Can you review it to see which ones you missed?

They are designed to show your strengths/weaknesses in each subject, so all subjects will be represented. I have only taken forms 1 and 2, and they don't seem to be heavy in one area or another.

No, you can't see which ones you missed unless you write all of them down and go back and check (or look them up as you go). There are illegal copies floating around, but you will be executed if you even discuss how to acquire them.

If you do the form in tutor mode, you have more time to write the questions that you are uncertain of. However, you do not get the answers to the questions.

If you do the form in tutor mode, you have more time to write the questions that you are uncertain of. However, you do not get the answers to the questions.

if you do the exam in the timed mode, do you have unlimited access to it as long as you don't click submit? How many questions are in the NBME?

if you do the exam in the timed mode, do you have unlimited access to it as long as you don't click submit? How many questions are in the NBME?

They are 4 blocks of 50 questions each. After you complete a block, you can't go back and look at it.

Timed mode = 1 hour per block
Tutor mode = 4 hours per block

They are 4 blocks of 50 questions each. After you complete a block, you can't go back and look at it.

Timed mode = 1 hour per block
Tutor mode = 4 hours per block

Thanks for the reply. Just have another question. Lets assume you register for the exam and choose timed mode, will you have only 4hours on the dot to finish the exam and the time expires or can you take breaks, come back later and do another block? Inorder words, do you have only 4hrs total for the timed mode or 16hrs total for the tutor mode before the computer shuts down on you?

Thanks for the reply. Just have another question. Lets assume you register for the exam and choose timed mode, will you have only 4hours on the dot to finish the exam and the time expires or can you take breaks, come back later and do another block? Inorder words, do you have only 4hrs total for the timed mode or 16hrs total for the tutor mode before the computer shuts down on you?

The time is per block, not total. If you are on timed mode, you will be kicked out of a block after an hour (4 hours on tutor mode). I'm not sure if you can take long breaks in between blocks or not.

Just to offer some "predictive value" ...

24 days before Step 1, I took Form 3, got 28 less than my Step 1 score.
12 days before Step 1, I took Form 4, got 06 less than my Step 1 score.
06 days before Step 1, I took Form 2, got 08 less than my Step 1 score.

So, my NBME's under-predicted, but I hear from most others that their scores are between their NBME's taken 5-10 days before Step 1.

So, my NBME's under-predicted, but I hear from most others that their scores are between their NBME's taken 5-10 days before Step 1.

Do you have any special or specific reason why you took your NBME's in that order? Is there a best order to take it.? Is it better to take the exam on tutor mode and then look up the answers as your moving along since you''ll probably see the same graphs or slides in the real exam. Or should one just take it in a timed mode to access performance and weaknesses?

Hey Fakin' the funk, what all did you do in those 12 days to bring your score up 20 points? I just took form 3 and would love to bring mine up 20.

today nbme 1=450= 206 :D

March 18 NBME 4=330= 172
April 20 NBME 3=370 = 184
TODAY NBME 1=450= 206

UW+ FA+ GOLJAN
Any advise please, or comment please do.I know that NBME1 is the easiest.

Compare to NBME 3-4, NBME 1 is really easy, I knew the answer or had a good idea of what they were talking about.

but its still reliable accurate for the test?
Thanks for the adivse my test is one MAY 30

thanks

today nbme 1=450= 206 :D

March 18 NBME 4=330= 172
April 20 NBME 3=370 = 184
TODAY NBME 1=450= 206

UW+ FA+ GOLJAN
Any advise please, or comment please do.I know that NBME1 is the easiest.

Compare to NBME 3-4, NBME 1 is really easy, I knew the answer or had a good idea of what they were talking about.

but its still reliable accurate for the test?
Thanks for the adivse my test is one MAY 30

thanks

who cares...go with it. you did good. keep that confidence up and cram more info into your head.