nbme sample tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to this web site:

http://www.nbme.org/programs/sas.asp

Are these the sample tests that people are talking about? I understand they have to be purchased, right? For Step 1, I was told not to buy them, and to just use the free ones distributed when you register for the exam. Is it a different case with Step 2 -- i.e., should I buy these samples? And are free samples available as with Step 1?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely do the tests for a few reasons. First, they are an excellent predictor of how you are going to do on the real thing. My predicted scores were dead on for both step I and II. Other SDN'ers can attest to that as well. Secondly, you will get used to the format of taking a test in the exact format that the boards give. And finally, you will be given an individual performance profile, which will help you target your problem areas. So, I think the 45, 90, or 135$ will be well spent.

Does the fact that I'm taking it this weekend change your advice? Or at least your advice as to how many tests to purchase? Is each test a full 8-9 hour exam, or fewer, like 150 questions or something?

I suppose it would still be helpful to know what to expect, as long as it doesn't predict that I'm going to fail. And if it predicts that I'm going to fail, it may give me some time to fake a catastrophic medical emergency.

Thanks