NBME self assessment exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orthodoc2be

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the NBME self assessment exams compare with the actual USMLE Step 1 exam? If I remember correctly, there are 7 NBME self assessment exams for step 1. Is one better than another?

Members don't see this ad.

most people say it comes pretty close their actual step 1 score.

from what people have written about their exam experience.....nbme forms 6 and 7 are as close as it gets. i guess the others are just good to see how and where you need to improve.

hope that helps...gluck :)

most people say it comes pretty close their actual step 1 score.

from what people have written about their exam experience.....nbme forms 6 and 7 are as close as it gets. i guess the others are just good to see how and where you need to improve.

hope that helps...gluck :)

I agree

Members don't see this ad :)
Not even close. My biggest mistake was wasting my time with these NBME exams. They weren't even close to predicting my real score. I wish I would have spent time either doing UWorld twice or Reading FA again. This is definitely my biggest regret when studying for Step 1, and it led to a disappointing score.

My NBME exams had me on a nice upward track. Each score kept getting better than the other. But my real score was either an outlier or the NBME tests were wrong. In fact, the NBME exams didn't even correctly predict my strengths and weaknesses on the real test!!!!

My recommendation: NBME 6 and 7 are probably the best exams. If you really want to take a NBME exam chose one of those. Otherwise, the UWorld assessments are good.

Hopefully my Step 2 will show how my Step 1 was an aberration.

Not even close. My biggest mistake was wasting my time with these NBME exams. They weren't even close to predicting my real score. I wish I would have spent time either doing UWorld twice or Reading FA again. This is definitely my biggest regret when studying for Step 1, and it led to a disappointing score.

My NBME exams had me on a nice upward track. Each score kept getting better than the other. But my real score was either an outlier or the NBME tests were wrong. In fact, the NBME exams didn't even correctly predict my strengths and weaknesses on the real test!!!!

My recommendation: NBME 6 and 7 are probably the best exams. If you really want to take a NBME exam chose one of those. Otherwise, the UWorld assessments are good.

Hopefully my Step 2 will show how my Step 1 was an aberration.

Maybe you were having a bad day?

I don't mean any offense but judging by user's experiences posted on here over the past couple years regarding trends in their NBME scores and their actual scores, you can see a pretty strong correlation between their NBME and actual scores.

It is unfortunate in your case that your actual exam, for whatever reason(s), didn't pan out the way NBMEs had predicted. However, good majority of the people have had their actual scores accurately predicted by the NBMEs.

Again, it sucks to hear about your experience. I wish you best of luck on step 2.

Maybe you were having a bad day?

I don't mean any offense but judging by user's experiences posted on here over the past couple years regarding trends in their NBME scores and their actual scores, you can see a pretty strong correlation between their NBME and actual scores.

It is unfortunate in your case that your actual exam, for whatever reason(s), didn't pan out the way NBMEs had predicted. However, good majority of the people have had their actual scores accurately predicted by the NBMEs.

Again, it sucks to hear about your experience. I wish you best of luck on step 2.

I may very well have had a bad day during Step 1, and for that reason I am taking Step 2 CK very seriously. All I know is that my strengths and weaknesses were way off what my practice tests were telling me.

As for the statistics of this site, I take anything I read on here with a grain of salt. This site has a small cross-section of some of the highest scores in the country, which is supposed to consist a small piece of the bell shape curve of scores. Everyone supposedly scores 250+ on this site. Not that I don't use this site as a helpful tool, but I take more stock to more my peers around I have spoken to, which have had similar experiences with the NBME exams. Perhaps I should have said YMMV.

Additionally, I am not saying not to take any of the NBME exams. But if I could do this all over again, I would have stuck to the best practice tests (NBME 6,7; UWSA 1/2) and divert my time and money to more high yield review. However once again, YMMV.