NBME self assessments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For everyone who took the two NBME online self assessments (200 Q's each)....any correlations between that score and your actual Step one score? Just curious. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Generally speaking, there is an *excellent* correlation between the two, assuming that you take the NBME exam(s) within a few weeks of the actual Step I. My correlation was practically perfect. Best of luck to you.

AP said:
For everyone who took the two NBME online self assessments (200 Q's each)....any correlations between that score and your actual Step one score? Just curious. Thanks.

well, there is a strong correlation in most cases, but not mine...i was at the mean for my NBME and got a 192/78 on step 1. needless to say, i was disappointed.

it all depends on the test you get. if your usmle has a similar breakdown of subjects, i would bet it correlates well. i would also say that if you can get to the mean on the NBME you are very, very likely to at least pass. but, abberations do occur, and i am one of them.

I took both self - assessments the day before the real thing and wound up with a 500 and 480, which I figured would amount to a slightly below average score on Step I. I wound up with a 224.

Members don't see this ad :)
My USMLE score was within 1 point of the predicted score based on my self assesments. I'd say the correlation is very strong.

The NMBE exams are probably the best predictor of how you'll do on step 1 provided you take them a couple days before the real deal.

NBME exam #2 = 650
Step 1 = 250

The two scores probably correlate w/i a few points of each other...

Does the NBME provide the answers to the 45 dollar self assessments?