NBME Shelf Exams vs Usmle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCG

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how these shelfs are actually graded. I have taken every subject shelf and the final cumulative shelf and have scores ranging from mid 60's to 80's. I am taking step 1 in one month and have no idea what my weakest areas are. In other words, are all these exams curved to set the average at 70? Is the S.D. 10, i have no idea. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how the shelf tests are graded, but I would recommend that you take the online assessment that NMBE has on its website. I think it's a fair to good predictor of your board scores, and it breaks down your strong and weak subjects.

I dont think you can take these unless your school offers them, although you can take the 2 sample 200 q exams on the nbme website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the link

I went on the website, and only saw 10 practice questions...W/O any answers. I think you can buy 2 basic science exams for $45 each.

yeah, you have to buy the tests. they are the closest to the real thing that you can find.

What about the retired NMBE questions and the retired Self Test? Are they similar to Shelf tests?? Thanks