nbme tests...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quidnunc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How different (difficulty) are the free 150 questions versus the 45$ exams for step 2 CK? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Idiopathic said:
WAY different, IMHO. Also, you get no real feeling for what your score would be with the free ones. Worth the $$$ if you ask me.

I concur. I have had a good experience with the $45 online NBME self assesments. I used them for step 1 and Step 2 both. Not that the free one is bad, but those were crucial for me. They predicted my score within a 10 point range. Also, they give you a breakdown of which areas you are weak. I studied harder in those areas and saw the improvement on the subsequent exam. Plus, the questions on those exams are out of the real 10,000 or so question bank that the use for the actual exam; I even saw 1 or 2 repeats. Another thing that might help is to write down the topics of the questions you have trouble with, and then look them up on www.emedicine.com or google them, to read more about them, because chances are, those topics will be tested again, since the exams are pretty representative. I usually choose the 4-hour per section self-paced option. That way, I give my self 1 hour per each section to actually do the questions and to keep it realistic. After that, I have 3 hours to spend going over that section, before I go onto the next one. If you're going to spend the entire 3 hours going over each section, then I would break it up into 2 days or something, but usually it won't come to that. The only negative thing I have to say about the online exams is that they don't give you the answers after you're done.

Thanks for the advise guys...I'll see some of you back on the internal medicine thread ;)