Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Nbme

Discussion in 'Step I' started by monalisa83, May 5, 2007.

1. monalisa83

monalisa83 Junior Member

Im doing an NBME tomorrow and was wondering if I should do the four hour mode or the regular 1 hour mode per section. Should I take notes during the sections? Also, is the assesment report at the end saved, or do I have to print it out. Thanks in advance.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SkylineMD

SkylineMD Senior Member

Medical Student
    the report itself is saved so you can print it out at a later time

Choosing between tutor mode and test mode is pretty much up to you. If you want to learn from the questions then use tutor mode but if you want to see how you are progressing, it would be smarter to use test mode. I suppose the advantage of each is that with one you *may* see repeat questions on the actual exam while if you do test mode then you can see which subjects you should focus on. (even if you still get a score distribution I don't think it would be an accurate assessment of your test day since you are limited in how much time you can take to answer the questions which adds a certain amount of pressure)

4. leverp2000

leverp2000 Senior Member

Personally, I prefer to go with tutor mode, because you can still take it as a timed test (cut yourself off at an hour). So basically, tutor mode gives you the option for both assessment and learning. I generally took one section in an hour and then looked up the tough questions afterward. It does take a little while, but was well worth it (had a few repeats on the real thing).

5. vtucci

vtucci Attending in Emergency Medicine
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    What I have been doing is taking it in tutor mode. I try to run through the questions in one hour and then review and take notes to make sure I am not going over the time limit.

Good luck.

6. RockShox

Medical Student
    The only time that I think that there is a difference is if you intend to put any stock into the idea of a correlation between your NBME scores and the actual test. The only studies that have been done and shown a correlation have compared the timed test to the USMLE. Not the tutor mode.

I always did them timed and that still gave me plenty of time to scribble something down to help me remember the tested concept on the ones that I struggled with. That definitely helps cause the evaluation you get is NOT informative.

These tests rock though good luck

7. OddNath

OddNath Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I just took it in test mode and had enough time to jot down notes of the ones I wasn't sure of. I'd recommend test mode.

8. blz

blz Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you bought the test you shouldn't feel guilty about downloading the pdf files of it all over the net.

9. Taus

Taus .

Attending Physician
    If you are taking it to accurately guage your performance...then go w/ test mode

For any other reason...I see no reason not to use tutor mode...especially given the fact that you can keep a timer next to you and still aim to finish in 50 mins....if you don't....you learned you need to move faster next time and either way you still get a chance to see and review the questions at your pace

10. monalisa83

monalisa83 Junior Member

Thanks everyone. I ended up doing a timed mode just to see what id get, i think in the future i will do a tutor mode so I have more timeto jot stuff down.

11. Krazykritter

Krazykritter Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So when purchasing these exams...I buy the Basic sciences comprehensive exam, correct??

12. medicinehopeful

i'm a little confused about how the nbme's work. so you can take the test in tutor mode and test mode? and in the tutor mode, are the answers given after each question? how about explanations?

13. RockShox

Medical Student
    No answers and no explanations are given. It is simply not timed.

14. Krazykritter

Krazykritter Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Also, I know everyone says Form 3 is most like the real deal, but what other one should I get? Thanks.

15. whournameiz

whournameiz Senior Member

where are the pdf files?