Step I NBMEs and Outliers

Started by 240orBust
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

240orBust

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So... I was just wondering, is there anyone here that experienced a 20-30 point difference from highest nbme (in either direction), when they took Step I? I've been steadily going up in my nbme score in my last few runs but everytime there's some doubt in my mind that the last exam was an outlier.

Any experiences? mind sharing? you don't have to say scores.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol seriously though, only you should control your anxiety levels before, during and after the test. You had to know there would be unfortunate stories out there. It's probably better to not go looking for them. For every one of these, there's 3-4 of people scoring 10+ points higher than the most recent nbme. Just chill.
 
Lol seriously though, only you should control your anxiety levels before, during and after the test. You had to know there would be unfortunate stories out there. It's probably better to not go looking for them. For every one of these, there's 3-4 of people scoring 10+ points higher than the most recent nbme. Just chill.

I was exaggerating when I said "panic attack", my point is that I think that in most cases of people who are either taking step 1 or have recently taken it before getting their score will wonder "what if that's me?". It's hard not to after hearing some of these horror stories, and that thread from what I've seen is the best example of that. And obviously that will produce some anxiety but I think most of us know that this is the exception, not the rule. so no one actually has panic attacks over a thread but it's still pretty awful to read.
 
I was exaggerating when I said "panic attack", my point is that I think that in most cases of people who are either taking step 1 or have recently taken it before getting their score will wonder "what if that's me?". It's hard not to after hearing some of these horror stories, and that thread from what I've seen is the best example of that. And obviously that will produce some anxiety but I think most of us know that this is the exception, not the rule. so no one actually has panic attacks over a thread but it's still pretty awful to read.

My post was directed at OP - _ -
 
Exactly. And critically evaluating your fields of interest and your own interest in each. It's easy to put the blinders and only focus on getting a score for a certain field. It helps open your eyes to other fields when you stop thinking of them as "225 average specialty" etc.
 
The posts in the official experiences thread are pretty anxiety provoking too. So many mention a question or two on something completely random or a topic that I personally know I'm weak on, but definitely won't study (e.g. someone just now posted about being asked for a muscle insertion point).

I don't know why I keep reading them.
 
The posts in the official experiences thread are pretty anxiety provoking too. So many mention a question or two on something completely random or a topic that I personally know I'm weak on, but definitely won't study (e.g. someone just now posted about being asked for a muscle insertion point).

I don't know why I keep reading them.

Same here! It's like looking into the sun. Can't..stop..staring...
 
I don't even visit those threads, I just hope my nbme's represent my performance... I still have a month to go but im ****ing tired, just wanna play videogames and ****... I think you guys write it soon right? best of luck guys.
 
I don't even visit those threads, I just hope my nbme's represent my performance... I still have a month to go but im ****ing tired, just wanna play videogames and ****... I think you guys write it soon right? best of luck guys.

Just finished my last pass of FA. Feels so good. Don't even care about the test right now I'm so happy to not have to study tonight or tomorrow or the next day or ever again.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad