USMLE NBME's as a learning tool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mahomus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
Currently I am doing u world and I am doing good at it. I think i will be done with it with about 50 days left to the exam.
I am thinking of doing dedicated studying, during this time where I study first aid and go through u world a second time.
Also, during this 50 days, I am thinking of doing as much NBME's as I can.
So my question is: Are NBME's only a mere tool for me to build endurance and get an approximation of my performance? or they are also educational and I can learn quite a few things if i do like 5 NBME's. Yes I know there's no explanations ... but will I still learn new concepts that will probably be in the exam if I do like 5 NBME's?

Members don't see this ad.

No. The NBME's are assessments. They are not learning tools.

Two things people need to get straight:
1. Uworld is a learning tool, not an assessment, stop trying to see what '% correct' correlates to what step score, you're never going to find out, and it is a waste of time trying to figure out how you're going to do based on your % correct, weak predictive power.
2. NBMEs are assessments, not learning tools, stop "studying" them trying to learn concepts you don't know (which will burn a great deal of time when you don't even have explanations and you have to search for answers). They are assessments for determining your readiness. If you sucked it up, go back to FA/Qbanks, do not go "study" more NBMEs.

What will you learn taking multiple NBMEs?
-How to make good use of your time
-How to mark questions, and make yourself go back and recheck them
-How to keep calm and realize that even though you feel like you're doing terrible, its going to turn out fine
-You will not uncover any secretes or game changers in them that will magically make you score above 260 simply because you did more NBMEs.

Some people do 12 NBMES and get a real deal: 230
Some people do 3 NBMEs and get a real deal: 250

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ok I already understand the point about uworld.
Regarding NBME's as a learning tool, thanks for the information and I will try to keep that in mind in my next couple of months to the exam.
Thanks alot =)

I totally support the idea that qbanks are not assessments--they are learning tools. I don't quite understand why you wouldn't use your NBME as a learning tool. I'm not talking about dedicating weeks to it, but reviewing the questions you got wrong, understanding what you were missing, and revealing weaknesses seems like a logical thing to do. Also, I hear people often say they had questions straight out of an NBME...if I missed something the first time I want to make sure I don't miss it the second.

Members don't see this ad :)
The answers to most of the NBMEs are quite readily available online (Google search) so I think they can indeed be used as a learning tool and not just for assessment. I took 2 NBMEs then used an answer key to review everything, and used First Aid to learn the points I had missed / make notes, etc. If this is not "active learning" then I have no idea what is.

Most people who take the NBMEs say that a couple of questions show up on the real thing. Kinda stupid to miss those questions for a couple days work.

Reactions: 1 user
Most people who take the NBMEs say that a couple of questions show up on the real thing. Kinda stupid to miss those questions for a couple days work.

I had a question come up again almost verbatim on my real test. I got it wrong when I saw it the first time, so reviewing the test worked to my advantage. Same thing with the Free 150. If you spend the time to take the NBMEs, you might as well learn from them. It just takes more effort.