NCBI for pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found themselves using NCBI databases for any pharmacy courses? I'm currently getting introduced to bioinformatics and navigating this thing. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

ethyl said:
Has anyone found themselves using NCBI databases for any pharmacy courses? I'm currently getting introduced to bioinformatics and navigating this thing. :thumbup:
I was a bio major, we were introduced to it first in my genetics class... It's an awesome site to use when doing research or literature review papers, especially the PubMed search tool. I always started any research paper or assignment by gathering info at this site. :thumbup:

I passed it on to a friend who is a grad student in Social Work... they have to write an obscene amount of papers in that program, and I showed her how to search PubMed for articles... She LOVED me for it.

DHG said:
I was a bio major, we were introduced to it first in my genetics class... It's an awesome site to use when doing research or literature review papers, especially the PubMed search tool. I always started any research paper or assignment by gathering info at this site. :thumbup:

I passed it on to a friend who is a grad student in Social Work... they have to write an obscene amount of papers in that program, and I showed her how to search PubMed for articles... She LOVED me for it.

:cool: I've been messing with PubMed to find info on sarcoidosis but every fargin article requires a subscription. :( Information like this should be free.

Members don't see this ad :)
ethyl said:
:cool: I've been messing with PubMed to find info on sarcoidosis but every fargin article requires a subscription. :( Information like this should be free.

Try accessing PubMed through your school library's webpage. Most colleges/universities subscribe to the major journals or have a package with science direct or elsevier (both publish a large number of journals). I've attended three different universities in my wanderings, and all three of them provided really good access to pubmed.

ethyl said:

I figgured out a way around this... Search for articles in PubMed, and then highlight and copy the title of the article you are not able to access. Then open a browser window to Google and paste the title into google and google it. I was able to acces the article that way 99% of the time. Usually the article would be posted somewhere else on the web. :thumbup: I just had to go around PubMed to get it. Try it and if you still have trouble, PM me with what you are looking for and I'll see if I can get my super-tricky method to work... It's been a while since I've used it, but it worked almost every time.

Sometimes I had to scroll down quite a ways through the google results, and sometimes not.

Thanks for the heads up Moxxie.

DHG, you're right about finding them in Google. :thumbup: Doesn't seem to work on a few of the most recent ones... but I'll try those at school. Thanks!