Ncsu vs Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

releclai

Reaction score
hey guys, I am extremely grateful that I was able to receive multiple acceptances this cycle, but now I am going crazy thinking I’m going to make the wrong decision. I’m from North Carolina, and went to NCSU undergrad, so I’ve always wanted to go to a new state/area for vet school. Also, I am very fortunate in that my family is supporting me financially, so tuition is not as big of a factor for me. However, I’m still thinking about it if I decide to do internships or residencies post graduation.

NCSU
pros:
- Warmer climate
- Higher ranked (know that this doesn’t matter too much but still)
- less isolated area
- less expensive

cons:
- been here for 4 years already, feel like I might get burned out more quickly because of it

tufts
pros:
- different area to explore/new chapter separating it from undergrad
- really great community, class seems well connected with each other

cons:
- cold
- lower ranking
- kind of outdated facilities (they are in the process of expanding to fit the new class size)
- harder to get residencies
- wayyyyy more expensive

I guess I’m just trying to see if moving to a new area is worth the risk of potentially liking it leas than I like Raleigh. I’ve enjoyed my time in undergrad here, but I was really looking forward to going somewhere new for this next chapter. However, nothing Tufts said at their accepted students day really made me think “this is where I am meant to be”. So now I am extremely conflicted on whether I should just stay closer to home and try to make a new experience for myself in other ways. But I also don’t want to entirely rule out Tufts.

To throw ANOTHER wrench into the mix, I was waitlisted at 3 schools (Cornell, Florida, and UT) so I don’t know what I would do if any of those schools accepted me in April.

Any help is greatly appreciated- especially from current students that can tell me about why they love the schools. Thanks yall!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to NCSU. Travel and move to a new area after vet school if you still want to experience something new. Vet school is a short four years of your life and your focus is on school anyway. Plus you know you like the area.

I know you said cost isn’t a factor because you have help, but NCSU is literally half the cost of tufts, talking 200k vs 400k. Why would you make a relative pay that much extra when they don’t have to and you’ll have the same DVM either way? Why not choose the cheaper school so whoever is helping you can still support you while you’re doing them a solid and making sure they also have money left for their own life and for them to enjoy? If I had a way to “gift” 200k to my parents I absolutely would, and that’s what you can do in a way by choosing the cheaper school.

Also, you have “harder to get residencies” on your cons list, but where you went to school has little bearing on your chances of matching. It’s more about your personal experiences and letters of rec and stuff that YOU drive, not the school. Just my two cents.

Reactions: 2 users
Go to NCSU. Travel and move to a new area after vet school if you still want to experience something new. Vet school is a short four years of your life and your focus is on school anyway. Plus you know you like the area.

I know you said cost isn’t a factor because you have help, but NCSU is literally half the cost of tufts, talking 200k vs 400k. Why would you make a relative pay that much extra when they don’t have to and you’ll have the same DVM either way? Why not choose the cheaper school so whoever is helping you can still support you while you’re doing them a solid and making sure they also have money left for their own life and for them to enjoy? If I had a way to “gift” 200k to my parents I absolutely would, and that’s what you can do in a way by choosing the cheaper school.

Also, you have “harder to get residencies” on your cons list, but where you went to school has little bearing on your chances of matching. It’s more about your personal experiences and letters of rec and stuff that YOU drive, not the school. Just my two cents.

Thank you for your input!! I think I spent too much time not considering ncsu up until now just because I went to school there undergrad, but the more people I talk to about it (esp people within the vet field), ncsu seems like the better choice for me.

Everything JaynaAli said.

At best, Florida is still a $100k more expensive than NCSU, with the other schools ranging from $150k to $200k more. Not denying that it's exciting to get accepted to other schools, but odds are that your experiences as a vet school student will be totally different from undergrad, even though it's technically at the same school.

Other pros include being closer to your family/support system, being familiar with the area and where the best places to live are, and the savings will enable you to more easily afford externships in different areas and travel during your breaks.

Reactions: 1 user