Nearsightedness -- an advantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squeegeediver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have insane nearsightedness. I recently spent way more than I care to think about on a new pair of glasses. I chose a rimless frame, which was not too expensive in itself, but they advised me to buy the thinnest lenses available because of the frame and my degree of myopia. The cost went through the ceiling.

From a purely economic perspective, LASIK would probably be cheaper in the long run.

At the same time, a friend of mine is an art restorer. He told me that my myopia would be advantageous in his profession, since I can see very tiny details unaided. That got me thinking that it might also be very useful in my own chosen career -- which is, in some ways, a sort of art restoration.

...Thoughts? Personal experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

considering the fact that you're supposed have your eyes at a set working distance away from the patient, having myopia isn't going to help at all. If you want to see fine details, buy loupes (you can get custom prescription ones from companies like Orascoptic)

I've got pretty bad vision myself. It certainly helps when I'm doing some lab work and I can see the tiniest of details. But then again, I'm like less than 5 inches away from what I'm working on. It may make your patient uncomfortable if you're working that close to them though. I agree, that loupes are the way to go though. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
not only does it make the patient uncomfortable...good posture is necessary for reducing the risk of neck/back problems when you're older.

Get Lasik! I did and I love it. Life is so much easier.

And everyone else is right. Whether you can see small details or not, you are going to need loupes to be able to see accurately at a healthy working distance