NECO ASIP- Advanced Standing International Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nomadic123

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,
I'm a optometry student at the University of Auckland in New Zealand. I'm thinking about practicing in the States and was interested in NECOs Advanced Standing International Program (ASIP). Has anyone gone through this program? I don't think internationals to this program have to take the OATs, do they? How does an international student study there without an S.S. number? Do they have a Student Visa or something? I read something on the ICO website about immigration that said something about the international student showing proof that they intend to leave the country after they finish their study. What would be the point of it all then?
 
Hey guys,
I'm a optometry student at the University of Auckland in New Zealand. I'm thinking about practicing in the States and was interested in NECOs Advanced Standing International Program (ASIP). Has anyone gone through this program? I don't think internationals to this program have to take the OATs, do they? How does an international student study there without an S.S. number? Do they have a Student Visa or something? I read something on the ICO website about immigration that said something about the international student showing proof that they intend to leave the country after they finish their study. What would be the point of it all then?

Try emailing the school for help.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You need n F-1 visa to be an international student in the U.S.A. If the school accepts , they help you get that. Its no big deal. You just get to study in the U.S.. Once school is over your visa is over unless you get married to a citizen or you get a job and get a green card that allows you to work in the U.S.
 
After completing the OD, can you apply for a green card through an H1B working VISA that your employer would potentially sponsor? Or is an H1B a non immigrant visa? I don't quite understnad the process of becoming a permanent resident / immigrant?
 
After completing the OD, can you apply for a green card through an H1B working VISA that your employer would potentially sponsor? Or is an H1B a non immigrant visa? I don't quite understnad the process of becoming a permanent resident / immigrant?

Yes, if you can find an employer to sponsor you, then you can get an H1B to stay in the US and work. I'm not sure on the exact requirement to go from H1B to permanent residency.