NECO Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omistheone

omistheone
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had an interview with NECO yet? I have just been invited and planning on going soon. Could someone please tell me what the interview day was like? Are there multiple doctors interviewing you on that day or is it relaxed? I am really nervous so please any suggestions and tips would be helpful. Thanks a lot.:)

Members don't see this ad.

I actually wanted to make a thread about this! I had my interview on Friday... and it was amazing.

I went into it, expecting to not be all that impressed with the school (mostly because I've been trying to make a choice between SCCO and SUNY). I was SO WRONG. The whole day was absolutely amazing. Everyone was warm and welcoming... and REALLY, REALLY makes the decision so much harder. I definitely got the "you should be here" feeling, which I didn't get at SUNY.

The interviews were relaxed. One with a faculty, one with a student. The whole atmosphere was just so family-like. Honestly, the best advice I can give is to relax and be yourself.

Were any other posters there on Friday too?

I actually wanted to make a thread about this! I had my interview on Friday... and it was amazing.

-like. Honestly, the best advice I can give is to relax and be yourself.

Were any other posters there on Friday too?

I was there too!!!!

....good times.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone had an interview with NECO yet? I have just been invited and planning on going soon. Could someone please tell me what the interview day was like? Are there multiple doctors interviewing you on that day or is it relaxed? I am really nervous so please any suggestions and tips would be helpful. Thanks a lot.:)

How did NECO contact you for interview invitation? email/mail/phone?
It's been 4 wks since I turned in my application but I haven't heard anything from them yet. I guess they are just waiting for my OAT scores...

I'm a first year student, and my best advice would be to just not worry about it. Everyone here is super nice and the interview is very relaxed. I's not a front just during interviews either, everyone is still really nice and helpful with anything that you could possibly need help with. It was my last interview last year and I almost didn't go because I had already been accepted elsewhere, but now I can't imagine being anywhere else.

It's been 4 wks since I turned in my application but I haven't heard anything from them yet. I guess they are just waiting for my OAT scores...

Mail. I didn't get my invitation until they received my OAT scores.

I'm a first year student, and my best advice would be to just not worry about it. Everyone here is super nice and the interview is very relaxed. I's not a front just during interviews either, everyone is still really nice and helpful with anything that you could possibly need help with. It was my last interview last year and I almost didn't go because I had already been accepted elsewhere, but now I can't imagine being anywhere else.

That's awesome to hear that it's really how the school is. It makes the decision so much harder though!

I was wondering if you were doing O.D./M.S. dual degree. I am sure it requires a lot of dedication at the library, and how much time does it take you to commute from your apartment?

Also, I applied two weeks ago and they sent me a letter through mail. My friend has the same situation and just took the OAT last week and they are waiting for her OAT scores. At least thats what they told her.

I think only 2 people in the class are thinking about doing the dual degree, and they aren't even sure if they will do it or not. I think it would take a lot of time.

It takes me about 35-40 minutes to get to school. Some people live right across the street, others further like me. I am planning on moving closer next year, even though rent will be higher, because second year classes are every day at 7 or 8 in the morning and the commute can be a real pain sometimes. Plus I am at school there, I go out with my friends in that area, I study there (when not at home), my whole life is near school so I want to live close (but not right across the street, I need a little change of scenery). Just my $0.02.

The people @ NECO are so nice... its one of my top choices. We went over were I applied, but I only applied to that many, was cause I started the applications, and I was like, this isnt soo bad... and just paid to send them....

anyways... we are suppose to find out in the next 2 weeks!

Last edited:

I contacted them last week and they told me that it takes from 2 wks to 2 months maximum so i wouldn't worry. i turned mine in about 3 wks ago but they are waiting for a transcript from community college. :)

Everything that optstudent2012 says is true. I am a first year as well, and its a very beautiful school. The people are awesome, professors are wise and school has this sense of 'home' feeling - it must be the 20th century architecture haha
So far, all that I have read is true about the school; interviews are really relaxed and they do want all your information before they invite you for an interview, for the most part. If you are the few still awaiting a response, I am sorry to say, then you will have to wait longer until more interviews are conducted. I believe they have only gone through 3 or 4 rounds of interviews and there are many more to come. If they like/want you to attend our school they will send out a response the very next day (usually Monday morning), if they aren't too impressed, they will wait to see more candidates. Sorry guys, but it's the truth. Just relax and be yourself during interviews. It is a very relaxed atmosphere, they aren't there to scare you, but the exact opposite in fact.

Everything that optstudent2012 says is true. I am a first year as well, and its a very beautiful school. The people are awesome, professors are wise and school has this sense of 'home' feeling - it must be the 20th century architecture haha
So far, all that I have read is true about the school; interviews are really relaxed and they do want all your information before they invite you for an interview, for the most part. If you are the few still awaiting a response, I am sorry to say, then you will have to wait longer until more interviews are conducted. I believe they have only gone through 3 or 4 rounds of interviews and there are many more to come. If they like/want you to attend our school they will send out a response the very next day (usually Monday morning), if they aren't too impressed, they will wait to see more candidates. Sorry guys, but it's the truth. Just relax and be yourself during interviews. It is a very relaxed atmosphere, they aren't there to scare you, but the exact opposite in fact.

I got an interview on 10.31 and then on Monday they sent out Fed-Ex and I got it by Wednesday... the interview I though didnt go well, cause in total I answered 4 questions when I interviewed with one of the professors...

anyways, i loved NECO. Does anyone know if they really do stick to that 15 days after your acceptance you need to hand in the deposit or they will give up your seat?

I just finished my interview with NECO today. The city is beautiful and you will be surrounded in a student environment. The admissions committee is so nice and tries their very best to make it as laid back as possible. We had two interviews. One was a student and the other was a Doctor or staff member. I was kind of nervous because the student had a list of like 10 questions that she asked me. The doctor was very nice and I feel like we had a common mission. Overall, the school is fantastic but I wish the clinic was closer by the school itself. One of the questions that threw me off was "What is your favorite cartoon character and why?" I said Jerry from Tom and Jerry because he fast, intelligent, and precise just as optometrists need to be. I did not expect that one at all. But best of luck to everyone else scheduled for an interview!:)

I got an interview on 10.31 and then on Monday they sent out Fed-Ex and I got it by Wednesday... the interview I though didnt go well, cause in total I answered 4 questions when I interviewed with one of the professors...

anyways, i loved NECO. Does anyone know if they really do stick to that 15 days after your acceptance you need to hand in the deposit or they will give up your seat?

Exactly my point, if they like you you will get an acceptance right away; the same thing happened to me and the majority of my class.
I am not 100% about the whole 15 day thing but there are a lot of others who apply and interview, so I wouldn't risk it personally. Where else are you interviewing/considering going?

Does anyone know if NECO is one of the more competitive optometry schools out there like suny?

I can tell you that the most competitive schools out there are Waterloo and Berkeley at the top, then Suny, then NECO and then the rest is pretty even. If you want proof, just look at the entering class' OAT score and GPA

I can tell you that the most competitive schools out there are Waterloo and Berkeley at the top, then Suny, then NECO and then the rest is pretty even. If you want proof, just look at the entering class' OAT score and GPA

I think UABSO is more competitive than NECO.

I think UABSO is more competitive than NECO.
I provided NECO last two years entering classes stats so that you can see what they are typically are looking for!!!!

Last year, their entering Class of 2008 had the following stats:
GPA: 3.34 OAT 331AA/337TS
Year before that, their entering Class of 2007 had the following stats:
GPA: 3.32 OAT 328AA/ 332 TS

information from opted.org