NECO vs. NOVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Notorious Desi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I recently heard the good word from NECO that I have been accepted for fall 2008. I applied to five schools: NECO, ICO, PCO, SUNY and NOVA Southeastern. I interviewed at NECO last friday and I have PCO coming up in two weeks. I haven't heard back from SUNY or ICO yet. Additionally, I just got an interview request from NOVA Southeastern but have yet to schedule it. My question to you all is: Other than the lower cost (approx. $5,000/year in tuition and maybe a few thousand a year on housing and living expenses/ year) and the beautiful campus and weather, is there really a reason why I should consider NOVA over NECO? I understand that $25,000 total more for NECO is nothing to sneeze at and I wouldn't mind basking in 75 degree weather all year ... but as I understand it, NECO is considered to be a stronger institution. How much does it matter where you get your degree from if at all? Tell me why I should or shouldn't consider NOVA over NECO or the other way around ... Pros and Cons of Both. Thanks for your input and good luck to all the applicants this year. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Notorious, sorta off topic...but when did you apply and how fast did you get a response as far as an interview is concerned? I'm only asking because I haven't heard back from them yet, and it has already been 4 and a half weeks (getting quite concerned)...thanks......oh...and congratulations :)

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I sent in my preliminary/web applications to most schools in late September. Then all my LORs and transcripts followed. So my applications were complete (except for the OAT scores) by mid-September. I took my OAT in mid-October and that is approximately the time I heard from NECO. I just recently heard from PCO and NOVA about interviews. So I guess it took NECO 5 weeks and PCO/NOVA 7 weeks to send me interview requests. I still haven't heard back from SUNY or ICO though. I hope that helps. Its rolling admissions so they are constantly calling people for interviews. Good luck and hang in there... you'll hear back soon enough!

NECO based on my interview last year: GRRReat city, but the school was bleh...Everything was too old fashioned for me (located in an old mansion). This includes the lecture rooms, and labs/equiptment. Also, their clinic, though new, wasn't next to the school, but was a few blocks away, and even it was pretty average (despite being new). The school was too isolated it seems, and seemed to be more like a residence then an actual school. This sucks for me b/c I can't study at home! haha. It's in a college town, but it's in a neighboorhood IN a college town. The academics seem just about average (according to board scores/ part 1). The good thing about it, is it does have a strong establishment, as it was one of the first schools, if not THE first (I forget).

Please don't take my word for everything. This is just based on my opinion, and my preferences. I'm sure there's lots of pros that you'll only experience by attending there.

For info on NOVA, check out my reply to the following thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=467013

GL!