NECO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dhockey94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was recently invited for an interview at NECO. I was wondering if anyone has interviewed there and what the process was like. More importantly, I'd like to hear from current students or anyone from the Boston area. What did you like most about NECO? And is the cost of living too high when it comes to repaying debt after optometry school? Just looking for some input on the city and school as i'm from Chicago.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, congrats on getting an interview. NECO was one of the school I got accepted to for the incoming class of 2021. The interview is very conversational base. Each interviewee gets assigned a professor and your interview takes place in their office. For me, the interviewer talked to me about information based on my applications, they really just want to see your personality and how you present yourself.

As for the school and its location. The school is located in the Back Bay of Boston, which is somewhat hard to reach. Most transportation stop about 10-15 minutes away from the school and then you have to walk there. I spoke to current students while I was trying to decide on which school to go to, many live about 15-20 minute of walking distance from the school. With that said, rent ranges from $1000-1500/month per person for a 3 bedroom/1 bath and Studios cost $2000+/month. Some students do shared living, which is where you have 2 beds in a room, it can cut the living cost down to about half. In this situation, there are more people living in one apartment and having to share the bathroom, but you save money. Even though the cost is higher than other places, students don't seem to find it an issue. They really enjoy the school and living in the city.

Hope this was helpful!
Feel free to ask me any other questions and I can try to answer them from what I know or if you want any clarification on anything I've mentioned :)

Hey everyone,

I was recently invited for an interview at NECO. I was wondering if anyone has interviewed there and what the process was like. More importantly, I'd like to hear from current students or anyone from the Boston area. What did you like most about NECO? And is the cost of living too high when it comes to repaying debt after optometry school? Just looking for some input on the city and school as i'm from Chicago.
Hey! My interviews on March 20th. Whens yours?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wont be going until April 21st.

Hey my interview is on April 3rd, good luck!!

Hey everyone,

Hi there! I am wondering how your interview at NECO went? Did you end up choosing them? I was recently offered an interview there for the class of 2022 cycle, and I was wondering how your experience with them was? What did they ask in the interview?, What is Boston like? (I am a Canadian student lol- so this is new to me haha). I was not expecting to get an interview from them at all- so this is catching me quite off guard. If you have any tips or advice to offer, I would be so thankful. All the best! :)