Neco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EuesRUs

EuesRUs
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone whos been accepted to NECO and is deciding to go there? So far that's the only school I've been accepted to..I'm still waiting for NOVA, UHCO, and ICO. I was really impressed with the school but lots of people on the forum have declined NECO to go somewhere else whether its the cost or something else. If you guys can let me know why you decided to go to NECO or why you didn't that would be really helpful!! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Boston is a beautiful place I heard..but is also expensive. I have an interview at NECO but I might not go because I know the school is very expensive...and it is way too far from home

Because there isnt much of a ranking system for the schools (other than Berkeley #1) I think people are mainly turning turning the school down because of the low pass rates from last year. NECO is a great school, as are all of the other optomerty schools. if you look at other schools (i.e. ICO from 2005, their pass rate was 70%, but was in the 80% last year). Board pass rates will vary by the year.

Even though cost does seem like an issue when I interviewed there, the breakdown of cost given to me by other schools, PCO, NOVA, ICO, were all relatively the same.

In the long run, I would just pick a school based on how it fits your needs, both as an educational and living environment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really liked NECO as far as the facility and resources it has to offer to the students. I also really liked the research that went on in there because it closely related to the myopia research that I've been conducting a few months ago. The brand new clinic is really exciting with all the new equipment and I like how the assignments correspond to patient interaction. Also really loved Boston and could see myself living there.

Why I ended not going: Its the furthest school for me and the plane ride would be >7.5 hrs, transportation would be an issue since there are so many off-site clinics and the nearest subway is about 10 minutes away. Living is pretty expensive there too, but the transportation issue was the largest concern.

The board pass rates didn't really matter to me because I think its individual effort and you get as much as you want out of the experience.

Hope that helps!

i have an interview at NECO on March 19th, but do not think I will be attending. I have been accepted to PCO, NOVA and have an interview coming up at ICO.

Hey
I just got my acceptance into NECO the other day. They told me that the class is about half full and that a wave of acceptances have been mailed along with mine. Whats funny is that in reading all the posts, I hear people debating about visiting the school. I liked my visit there, but didnt think I was going to get in. But i got my letter today. I was put on HOLD from PCO (the school i wanted to go to). Reading posts, i notice that everyone got into PCO but not NECO. weird.

Hey
I just got my acceptance into NECO the other day. They told me that the class is about half full and that a wave of acceptances have been mailed along with mine. Whats funny is that in reading all the posts, I hear people debating about visiting the school. I liked my visit there, but didnt think I was going to get in. But i got my letter today. I was put on HOLD from PCO (the school i wanted to go to). Reading posts, i notice that everyone got into PCO but not NECO. weird.

The class is still only about half full? Did you find NECO to be kinda slow? Thats the impression that im getting.