Neco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccerstar22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give me any info on NECO. How the overall experience is there and so on. The low board passing rate has me concerned and I consistently get the impression that they are not as competent as the other schools i've visited. Their website offers very little information about the program - (no where near what I was able to find on ICO's site) and they never sent out an information packet. This gives me a poor impression of the school and the program. I have met some really great doctors who received their degrees from NECO and they highly recommended it, so maybe the facilities and faculty make up for the lack of info. Any first hand info anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Soccerstar22,

I am currently a 4th year student at NECO and have found my experience a very fulfilling one. It has been a very good experience because it offers me a good clinical experience right from day one and the program allows me to take initiative in my clinical learning. I am able to try something I have just learned in class the very next day in clinic as long as my attending doctor is comfortable with my judgement and skill level.
As for the Boards passing rate, I have answered this question time and time again however there seems to be a bad reputation for our school about this issue. I know that for my class we had a boards pass rate in the high 80s. I can not really comment on the other classes because we are not privy to that information.
If you would like to personal message me your contact information I will ensure that you get an information package from the admissions office. Good luck with school and your applications. If you had any further questions about Optometry, applying or Optometry in Canada please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

T-H
OD2008

Thanks for your reply T-H. That is exactly the kind of qualitative information that I was looking for. I am hoping NECO is everything I've heard it to be since it is only a couple hours from home and Boston is such a nice city. Good luck on your last year!

I was wondering if anyone could give me any info on NECO. How the overall experience is there and so on. The low board passing rate has me concerned and I consistently get the impression that they are not as competent as the other schools i've visited. Their website offers very little information about the program - (no where near what I was able to find on ICO's site) and they never sent out an information packet. This gives me a poor impression of the school and the program. I have met some really great doctors who received their degrees from NECO and they highly recommended it, so maybe the facilities and faculty make up for the lack of info. Any first hand info anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I was just wondering where you find information on board passing rates for different schools.

Thanks!