Neco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ionyoublu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to NECO a month ago and I have heard back from all of my other schools that I applied to except NECO. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear a response back from them? Since their website does not mention anything regarding this. If you can let me know that would be great!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to NECO a month ago and I have heard back from all of my other schools that I applied to except NECO. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear a response back from them? Since their website does not mention anything regarding this. If you can let me know that would be great!!:)

I got rejected from them a few weeks ago as a reapplicant if that helps at all...good luck, it's a great school

i visited it when i went to boston..city is great.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my acceptance letter within 2 weeks of the interview with NECO. If you havent received any notification yet, I would think that they are on the fence and are waiting to see how many students accept or decline. Hope that helps :)

i applied end of october and i got an interview invite 3 weeks ago. It probably won't take as long for you though. Good luck!:)

They take ages. The best advice that was given to me was not to bother- move on to a different school.

Hi all, for NECO I thnk you need to keep close tabs on them and check once in a while if you think they are taking a bit long to do something.

When I called them after not hearing for a while I was told I was missing a transcript (which was not true. they had it all along). Seemed like they weren't really planning on contacting me about it either.

After I got that straightened out I waited some more with no news.. then one day I get a phone msg from someone saying something like "Hi, we haven't heard from you so we were wondering if you've decided to come for an interview... etc" I was like, :eek::confused:. When I called back to ask what they were tlaking about, that I never got an interview invitation, the lady was baffled but said for some reason this has happened a few times this year. As in FORGETTING <?> to inform the applicant that they've been granted an interview!!

To me it seemed like their admissions office was a mess!! I didn't bother going to the NECO interview..

Just one more thing, the first two time I called the school I spoke to a women who wasn't very professional -- while on the phone with me she was talking to someone else that came into the office "heyy, how you doing , girl?" "No, thanks. I don't need coffee." And she asked if I knew who Elvis was :confused::eek:. Weird. I know this kind of stuff doesn't mean the school as a whole is a mess, but it did give me a negative first impression.

I applied end of September and got an invite 2 weeks later ... then got an acceptance offer 4 days later.

OMG almost the same thing happened to me about the transcripts!! I applied early and called them a few weeks after i had sent everything in to make sure they have all my stuff and they said that my file was complete. After 2 MONTHS of not hearing from them I called to ask what was going on, they informed me that my file was not complete and that they did not receive my Transcript from one of the schools!:confused: I was sooo annoyed with them for telling me the wrong information :eek: .
They need to get on top of things and get people who know what they are doing to run the admissions office! I am glad that I am not the only one who feels this way about this school, and to think that they actually charge the most for tuition compared to all the other schools is some sort of joke:eek:
Folks, take your money elsewhere smartest move you will make :D

I applied at the end of September, interviewed in November and the story is similar to Mucci's once they got my OAT scores a week after the interview.

They were pretty organized - they gave all of us a card saying what was missing from our file if anything. Email their admissions counsellor- she is really great!

I applied at the end of September, interviewed in November and the story is similar to Mucci's once they got my OAT scores a week after the interview.

They were pretty organized - they gave all of us a card saying what was missing from our file if anything. Email their admissions counsellor- she is really great!

That is so odd.. maybe they had a change in staff or something. I applied at the end of October. I was definitely disappointed with the way my application was handled. Anyway, I'm sure it's a good school. I've decided to go to UCB though.

if it makes you feel any better..a NECO school rep came to my college on Tuesday and informed us that they have only filled 60 out of 110 seats! :thumbup:

Thanks everyone!! I talked with some other people that also applied to NECO the other day and they haven't heard back from them either. They should have all of my application materials but they maybe on the slower side compared to other schools or I am just spoiled that I got interview invites quickly. I will wait another week and if I do not hear from them then I will contact them. Thanks guys!! Any other info about NECO you would like to share please post.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied in early January and still haveent heard anything yet.
I sent in my OAT score two weeks ago, but still nothing :(

I'm going out to Boston on Thursday...for those of you who have already interviewed, could you tell me a little about it? Thanks!

hey guys....was just wondering if anybody has already or plans to give up their seat at NECO???????????????????

I applied at the end of December, was invited for an interview by mail the last week of January, interviewed on Feb 22nd, and received an acceptance letter this afternoon! :)

I applied at the end of December, was invited for an interview by mail the last week of January, interviewed on Feb 22nd, and received an acceptance letter this afternoon! :)

Check out the facebook group - he New England College of Optometry Class of 2012

hey guys....was just wondering if anybody has already or plans to give up their seat at NECO???????????????????
Hey Eyecare510 --
I am about to give up a seat my NECO and the presidential scholarship there (2500 a year). Hopefully you get the spot! Good Luck!

hey all. i think that i'm going to be giving up my spot at NECO also. interviewed feb 15 and was accepted a week later. i really liked the school and the city, and everyone there was incredibly nice and i thought very professional. it just makes me nervous that it seems like NECO is the only school that i read bad things about on this site. it seems like there is almost no way to impartially compare schools, that there is almost no info out there on any one school being any better than another, which i find perplexing. maybe they really are all the same, i don't know. it would be nice to be able to make a decision based on more than what climate i want to live in or how cool the city is or how big the clinic is (which i realize is an important factor but shouldn't be the end all in decision making). every now and again i see % for NBEO passing rates on this site but those all seem completely unauthoritative. oh well. i'm excited to be headed to optometry school so i'll just be content with that.

That is so odd.. maybe they had a change in staff or something. I applied at the end of October. I was definitely disappointed with the way my application was handled. Anyway, I'm sure it's a good school. I've decided to go to UCB though.

katyrose-what made you decide to go to UCB? I'm currently torn between NECO and UCB and would love any input!

Thanks.

To all those who are considering NECO/have considered NECO:

What do you think of their clinical program? Have you heard anything about how effective it really has been or how helpful students think it is? Is it really worth it?
It's so difficult to compare when everyone (optoms and current students) I've talked to seems very partial to one school or another...

Thanks.

i decided to attend NECO 1) because it is in Boston - which is a great city full of students and a variety of things to do on those few days we will have off (you are going to be there for 4 years .. might want to pick an area that will keep you entertained)
2) I know a few people there right now and they love the school
3) the school is in a very nice part of town .... so its safe
4) the clinical program starts early in the first year with screening students and then the rest occurs all over the city so you get to see a variety of cultures, age groups, socioeconomical groups, disease, etc.
5) Taline farra attended waterloo college of optometry and now works there ... I think that says a little about the school's academic ability
6) high percentage of passing rates for boards
7) again .. IT'S IN BOSTON! Patriots, Red Socks, and I guess the bruins hahaha

it's a little expensive but common ... we will make it back .. so we are in dept for an extra year or two ... after that we are laughing.

but it's mainly personal preference .... I had interviews at PCO and SUNY ... and I didn't feel as comfortable at those two schools as I did at NECO. The curriculum is pretty much the same across the schools (we all know how to do a refraction) ... So keep in mind ... Where do you want to spend the next four years of your life?

hope this helps a little,

cheers

Thanks for the information =)

I agree with Mucci... the main reason I chose Boston was because of the city. The programs at the different schools are pretty much at the same standard, so it came down to where I would have the best times in the next 4 years. I like my sports, so Boston is a great choice for that (Mucci, you forgot the CELTICS!!!, but definitly the Pats are a plus). Boston seems like an academically well-off school, but also maintains a good sense of fun judging by the social events they hold. That is the main difference I found between Boston and the other schools I applied to (ICO, PCO and SUNY).

On the negative side, and this is mainly personal, but NECO doesnt have a gym/fitness center, where ICO and PCO does. But Im sure I will be able to find a good gym close to where I would live. Plus the school re-imburses the gym fees.

Hope that helps anyone trying to decide.

katyrose-what made you decide to go to UCB? I'm currently torn between NECO and UCB and would love any input!

Thanks.

Well, I went to UCB for undergrad and loved the Bay Area, the campus, the classes, the faculty, the whole package. Even though I found it hard to really compare the caliber of the optometry schools (since there are no official rankings and many good things are said about almost all of the optom. schools) I liked that UCBSO grads have very high passing rates for the board exam, and how their program integrates clinical education early on. Go Bears!!!!! =D

I agree with Mucci... the main reason I chose Boston was because of the city. The programs at the different schools are pretty much at the same standard, so it came down to where I would have the best times in the next 4 years. I like my sports, so Boston is a great choice for that (Mucci, you forgot the CELTICS!!!, but definitly the Pats are a plus). Boston seems like an academically well-off school, but also maintains a good sense of fun judging by the social events they hold. That is the main difference I found between Boston and the other schools I applied to (ICO, PCO and SUNY).

On the negative side, and this is mainly personal, but NECO doesnt have a gym/fitness center, where ICO and PCO does. But Im sure I will be able to find a good gym close to where I would live. Plus the school re-imburses the gym fees.

hahah sorry .. forgot about the celtics ... and ya the gym status is also a good point... I had no idea the school reimbursed us .. thats wicked .. i will definitely be needing a gym. aDubs have you joined the facebook group yet?

hahah sorry .. forgot about the celtics ... and ya the gym status is also a good point... I had no idea the school reimbursed us .. thats wicked .. i will definitely be needing a gym. aDubs have you joined the facebook group yet?

Yes I have. I will definitly be finding a place close to a gym. I haven't seen any gyms in the beacon hill area yet. I don't know about the Alston and Brighton area.

NECO actually has a partnership with YMCA, and all students are given membership to Ys free of charge which are valid at any location. While admittedly, you may find other gyms on the local area more to your liking, it doesn't beat being free haha.

same exact position...I interviewed in January haven't heard yet ....:thumbdown:

I got rejected from them a few weeks ago as a reapplicant if that helps at all...good luck, it's a great school

i visited it when i went to boston..city is great.

did they send you the reject letter before offering you an interview?

anyone heard anything from NECO?

i finalized my application in early december and havn't even gotten so much as a letter or a phone call from NECO.(2 interviews elsewhere!) i know my app is complete but they are terrible with communication! anyone else have a similar story?

I just got my invite for an interview with NECO, woo woo...just wondering if anyone knows how full the class is, im from Caglary so an interview for the waitlist would kinda be sad...any info is appreciated!!!

I just got my invite for an interview with NECO, woo woo...just wondering if anyone knows how full the class is, im from Caglary so an interview for the waitlist would kinda be sad...any info is appreciated!!!

heyyyy
when is your interview scheduled for? and how did they contact you about that? i guess i really should call them...but I only applied in mid march

The best advice is to call...there's still hope, I applied in March, had my interview on April 11th and got my acceptance letter on Tuesday. Good luck everyone!

Does anyone know if they have a waitlist at NECO? How many seats available right now as well? Also, if we haven't heard anything back yet... are they going to be sending out rejection letters at the end of the cycle? I'm hopeful, but also extremely worried. I know sabrinasingh received her acceptance letter and I haven't heard anything and I interviewed on April 11th as well. Anyhow, congrats sabrinasingh!

don't lose hope till you get the rejection letter...i think they have more interviews later. So they can still be considering your application. Give them until mid May, then call and ask. G-luck.

I applied to NECO in January, I still haven't heard anything from them. :(

i think you should hear from them by now...they should be having their last interview by now.

Thanks Sportvision! I'll be patient... and see what happens. Do you know when the last date they do send out acceptance letters as well?