need a little advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rvca1981

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i was planning on submitting my app on sept 1st like everybody else but I found out that I didn't pass step 2 CS. Im an USImg with competitive step scores in the upper 90s. I was just wondering if I should still apply early with that mark on my transcript. Also, will I be filtered from a lot of programs? I can't believe i shot myself in the foot with this, but im trying to gather any hope i can.

Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't pass CS, can't get ECFMG certified, this year is dead. If you can take it again soon enough, you might be able to get it all in, but that's not a guarantee. Finding out end of August is MUCH better than finding out in October, though.

What happened to me (all those years ago) was that there weren't enough spots in Philadelphia - physically. As such, I didn't get ECFMG certified in time. So I had to sign outside for prelim IM.

Yes I would say that pretty much dooms any application attempt until it is corrected. As an attending it says to me that you lack the core clinical skills needed to independantly evaluate patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I'm not mistaken, as long as you can re-take it and pass before the end of December?, you can get the ECFMG certificate upon graduation next year. What you'll run into is having to explain the CS fail during your interviews this winter AND have it corrected in time for their final rank list. It's certainly not the best place to be in for a moderately competitive residency, but I wouldn't say it dooms your chances.

If I were you, I'd bust my ass to get it re-taken before the end of the year. Go ahead and apply widely. Do your interviews, and schedule a handful of away rotations at programs that you think you have a good shot at getting into. If they like you and you're a good fit, chances are improved that they would be understanding with the situation.

The problem here is that you are an IMG. Being an IMG, the residency committees want to see a passing grade by at the latest a few weeks before they set their rank list. This is about at the end of February. Now, it takes at least 6 weeks to get the scores back for USMLE and as I remember it took a lot longer for CS. Given that it's almost september and you will have to reschedule the CS which will be difficult, I have to say it might be difficult to get everything in on time. But, I will tell you that my friend last year was in the same position and took the CS again around november and got the scores back by mid january and ended up matching. good luck