Need a new study plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I just finished my first full run through of the Uworld Qbank, took NBME form 3... and got a 340 (194). I had less then 2 weeks left until my exam, but for obvious reasons I will be moving it back by 3 weeks, giving me 5 full weeks to study. My questions:

1) The first time around I used primarily first Aid. Should I try a different book this time around? I was thinking of using Secrets, with Step Up to Medicine and the Internal Medicine Essentials for my worst subjects.

2) Are there any audio/video resources I should be using? I went through Pestana once, but that's it so far. Are there Kaplan videos floating around for this thing?

3) Is there another good Qbank besides UWorld that I should be using? I feel like I should get through the entire Qbank again in about 2-3 weeks, and I'm not sure how much help I'd get from a third pass through.

4) How long does it take the NBME to process the results of this test? I need to have my test scores by November 1st. Is mid september too late?

5) Are the NBMEs as representitive for this test as they were for Step 1? The questions on my exam seemed really short, not really USMLE-ie.

Members don't see this ad.

How about your UW average?

I would suggest that you do MTB3+UW together.

MTB3 is a concision of kaplan notes which will help u master the key points asap.

Alright, I just finished my first full run through of the Uworld Qbank, took NBME form 3... and got a 340 (194). I had less then 2 weeks left until my exam, but for obvious reasons I will be moving it back by 3 weeks, giving me 5 full weeks to study. My questions:

1) The first time around I used primarily first Aid. Should I try a different book this time around? I was thinking of using Secrets, with Step Up to Medicine and the Internal Medicine Essentials for my worst subjects.

2) Are there any audio/video resources I should be using? I went through Pestana once, but that's it so far. Are there Kaplan videos floating around for this thing?

3) Is there another good Qbank besides UWorld that I should be using? I feel like I should get through the entire Qbank again in about 2-3 weeks, and I'm not sure how much help I'd get from a third pass through.

4) How long does it take the NBME to process the results of this test? I need to have my test scores by November 1st. Is mid september too late?

5) Are the NBMEs as representitive for this test as they were for Step 1? The questions on my exam seemed really short, not really USMLE-ie.

1) I wasn't a fan of FA for Step 2. MTB is great for medicine and so-so for the rest (no biostats section). SUTM, if you can get through it, is bar none for medicine and some surgery. Secrets + MTB + UW is a winning combination.

2) Our school libr had the Kaplan CDs (perhaps yours may too?)...I'm sure they are floating around somewhere in the interweb.

3) Dude. I wish I had the chance to get through UWx3. Granted I tended to "remember" the q's on the 2nd run, but I retained much more from the explanations.

4) Betwn 4-5 wks

5) Unfortunately, no. People may disagree, but I found the NBME q's outdated and the UWSA q's - you'll do well if you've done UW.

Stick with UW, and think about Secrets or MTB. I don't think you'll go wrong with FA....the books really are just supplemental material to UW. Good luck to you!

So what I decided to do:

1) Pushed back the test exactly 2 weeks, meaning I take it three weeks from now. In that time I will do one pass through each of the following:

UWorld
The MKSAP
USMLE Step 2 Secrets
Step Up to Medicine for GI, Cardio, and maybe Renal
If I have time: Uwise OB/GYN

I'm hoping that will get my gade up to at least the national average. I'll take for 4 when I finish at least the MKSAP. Any other suggsetions?

Hi!

A few more tips:

Remember that your results from re-using the Qbank will be inflated, maybe by about 10%.

To increase your Qbank score, look within test blocks and determine your weaker topics. Go back and review content of these topics to clarify and refresh your recall of them. Make notes on the problem aspects, which you can review closer to your exam date. (Both the note-taking and reviewing them later will help keep these aspects fresher in your memory on test day.) Once you finish remediating problem topics, resume another cycle of self-testing, identifying topics and remediating.

A week before your exam, do a quick refresher of highest yield, formulas, and your weakest topics - especially those in emphasized areas of the exam.

Do not study the day before the exam. Relax, get some light exercise, eat and sleep well (if possible!)

Best of luck!