Need adivce..!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamChazer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I am an urm African American male; I come from an urban community. I am currently an undergrad double science major (chem & bio). I am in my upcoming senior academic year, my gpa is a 2.6. Just a run down of my semesters:

Orgo I (lec) B
Orgo I (lab) A-
Orgo II (lec) B-
Orgo II (lab) B
Cell Physiology B
Independent research for credit (Organic Chemistry) for two semesters A, A
Biochem B+
Genetics A-
Analytical Chem B-
Zoology C+
Pre-calc C-
Calculus I C+
Both Physics C

So I mean I have about 8 more science courses to go. I am currently studying for my MCAT, hopefully I'm ready by end of August early September. I am on the executive board in black student union organization on campus, medical scribe and volunteer in the urban community shelters. What is my chances? Any advice? Should I just stop wasting my time pursuing?

To put my background into context, the grades in calculus and my math based science courses maybe because I was never exposed to this type of math in high school, I never even used a calculator in high school. I know that is not an excuse but I know I lacked the foundation coming into college and I still see these grades as an accomplishment.

P.S. Am I non-traditional? I am 24 and still an undergrad..

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, before even thinking about taking the MCAT, you need to focus on raising your GPA over a 3.0, next take the MCAT and get at least a 505+. Then maybe you get a chance at some DO schools.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
First of all, before even thinking about taking the MCAT, you need to focus on raising your GPA over a 3.0, next take the MCAT and get at least a 505+. Then maybe you get a chance at some DO schools.

I'm confused why should I hold off on studying for the MCAT. I started studying already and I am finished my pre-reqs for it. How can I focus on raising my GPA over the summer if I'm not enrolled in any courses until the fall?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused why should I hold off on studying for the MCAT. I started studying already and I am finished my pre-reqs for it. How can I focus on raising my GPA over the summer if I'm not enrolled in any courses until the fall?
Because taking the MCAT now will only waste your time and money. Even if you score well now, no school, even Osteopathic schools whose stats are usually lower, will accept you with a 2.6 GPA. So let's say you take the MCAT, and assuming you scored well you're just gonna waste an application this year (another waste of money), you automatically become a reapplicant (which doesn't help your case at all) for next cycle. Also, for most schools, your MCAT expires in 3 years, so it's only realistic to work on your GPA first (might take a year or two of good grades 3.8+ to fix), then take the MCAT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Because taking the MCAT now will only waste your time and money. Even if you score well now, no school, even Osteopathic schools whose stats are usually lower, will accept you with a 2.6 GPA. So let's say you take the MCAT, and assuming you scored well you're just gonna waste an application this year (another waste of money), you automatically become a reapplicant (which doesn't your case at all) for next cycle. Also, for most schools, your MCAT expires in 3 years, so it's only realistic to work on your GPA first (might take a year or two of good grades 3.8+ to fix), then take the MCAT.

I don't if this may change the advice your giving but I am no way applying this cycle. I plan on taking my MCAT and doing well 500> plus continuing with my last academic year coming up..i have 12 more classes and 8 of them being science courses. After graduating next spring I plan on applying that summer. Any advice now? or is it quite the same :bored:

I don't if this may change the advice your giving but I am no way applying this cycle. I plan on taking my MCAT and doing well 500> plus continuing with my last academic year coming up..i have 12 more classes and 8 of them being science courses. After graduating next spring I plan on applying that summer. Any advice now? or is it quite the same :bored:
What's the point of going through all the hardships of preparing and taking the MCAT just to let it seat for a year or two, and eventually risk it expiring while fixing your GPA? Get your GPA above a 3.0 (preferably 3.25+), then when that's out of the way, take the MCAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.