Need Advice - 509 / 3.66 - Additional Question on a W

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Throwaway192839

Reaction score
Hello, I'm brand new to these forums but I'd like some advice if you guys don't mind. I'm currently a senior graduating 2020 and taking a gap year post undergrad and working as an EMT over the gap year to pay debts and get more experience and whatnot. But I'd also like to see what chances I have / what I can buff up on before applying.

MD APPLICANT:
  1. cGPA: 3.66, sGPA: 3.59
  2. MCAT: 509 127/128/126/128 - only taken once
  3. MI resident
  4. White Male
  5. Public university - mid tier
  6. Clinical:
    1. Volunteer: Hospice - 150+ hours over 2 years
    2. Volunteer: Helped build a school and public bathroom in Madagascar
    3. Paid: EMT-B in a large city, ~100 hours over 1 year
  7. Research:
    1. Biochemistry research with poster - 200+ hours over 3 years
  8. Shadowing:
    1. 200+ hours over 3 years, mixes of surgical and primary care
  9. Non clinical:
    1. Volunteer:
      1. Habitat for Humanity - 100+ hours over 3 years
      2. Local university club helping be role models and good friends with kids in underprivileged areas, think Big Brother / Big Sister - 200+ hours over 3 years
    2. Study Abroad
      1. Studied in Madagascar Sophomore Summer for 2 months, did field research and helped build a few structures for a local village.
  10. Clubs
    1. President of a Health-Oriented Council that cooperates events between all university health clubs (2 years)
    2. Previous president of university Pre-Med Club (3 years)
    3. President and Founder of a politically-oriented club focused on polling and specifically non-aggressive discussion (1 year)
    4. Cofounder and previous vice-president of our university Honors Council (2 years)
    5. Cofounder and Treasurer of our university Doctors Without Borders branch (2 years)
    6. Member of the Universities' Student Government Financial branch (1 year)
  11. Jobs
    1. Work as a tutor for chemistry, biology, and calculus at the university tutor labs (3 years)
    2. Worked as a front desk hotel employee, helped train the new employees and did the usual front desk check in stuff (2 years)
    3. Work as an EMT-B in an urban city and plan to work in a metropolitan area in the gap year (1 year)
  12. Graduating from University Honors College
  13. Have known all of my references since sophomore year, keep in touch often and am confident that they will write strong letters.
I use MSAR and that's a helpful tool, and I'm not planning to go to any top tier schools as all the doctors I've shadowed said as long as you can land a residency and don't plan on pursuing research as a career it doesn't really matter where you go. I probably will apply to all schools in Michigan (though I doubt I'm getting into Ann Arbor). I'm graduating this upcoming spring (2020), but if you guys have any good advice in terms of schools to consider or buff ups that I should focus on I'd really appreciate it!

Also on a separate note: A question I have additionally involves Ws on a transcript. I know that they don't count towards or against the GPA but still show up on the transcript and that only 1 W won't hurt too much on an app. The W was taken on a nonrequired 1 credit anatomy lab course taken the summer of my junior year while preparing for the MCAT. The class was taking up too much time (used to be a 4 credit class but was bumped down to 1 credit after massive amounts of premeds failed / received D's and destroyed their GPAs) on top of the other classes and volunteering I was doing that summer. I have incredibly limited time in my schedule during my final year, especially if I'm to retake the MCAT, and am weighing the pros and cons of simply not retaking the class. Would not retaking a class I had previously withdrawn from be a killing / maiming blow to my application?

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
All your Michigan schools
Toledo
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
George Washington
Drexel