Need advice about aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turley67

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MS3 here, going into EM. So far, I've applied to 8 aways, have been turned down by two. I've started to sweat about this because I've heard over and over that b/c EM is increasingly competitive, aways are more and more essential for EM. I have a family vacation and I am taking step 2 in July, away in august, home EM rotation in september. Just got an offer today, however, from a school offering me a seat in July. In all honesty, this place is was at the bottom of my list of aways I wanted, I included it as a back up mainly. On top of that, it's in July which is less than ideal as well. Should I take it and then decline should a better offer in august come up? I've heard doing this essentially burns the bridge between you and that program, and although it wouldn't be the end of the world, I don't want to close doors for myself later on down the road if possible. Can anyone offer advice? Has anyone been in my shoes before?

Members don't see this ad.

Take it until something better comes up.

I've heard it doesn't burn the bridge. Even if it does - the fact that you're getting multiple other offers (which happens before you turn it down), means you should be fine regardless of the bridge.

As with anything in medicine you take what you can get and be happy about it. I don't care if it's at the bottom of YOUR list. YOU may be at the bottom of your #1 pick. Never know. Your goal is to match wherever you can so you can be the type of physician you want to be. IT IS WORSE if you don't match.

Reactions: 1 users