Need Advice about DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Driller23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Can someone tell me how long it typically takes for AADSAS to mail your application to D-schools at this stage in the cycle?
And how long does the ADA take to report to DAT scores to D-schools? I think the ADA is pretty fast, like 1-2 weeks max.

The reason I ask is becuz I am trying to decide whether I should really really focus and cram and take my DAT on July 28th as scheduled or if I should reschedule for sometime in early/mid Sept. The reason is that I have to travel overseas for the whole of August and will not be able to take it then. However I can study for it during the whole of August and take the test in Sept if I postpone.

So I am basically weighing the benefits of an increased score 1.5 months later Vs. a somewhat lower score 1.5 months earlier.

PLS ADVICE! I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks a million.

Members don't see this ad.

Well if your ready to taek the test do it now, the earlier you apply the better...i assume your applying for the 2006/2007 cycle. Have you taken any practice DATs? were the scores you got something you liked? These are things you should think about. I would say apply as early as possible. the AADSAS site is usually fast, at least with everything they did for me. I would say from the time i e-submitted my application, they sent them out within 2or3 weeks. The ADA is also rather fast in what they do. Both sites tell you it takes much longer than it usually does. But it probaby wont take as long as they say. I recommend that you take the dat as you have it scheduled, this way you can always wait 90 days and retake them in the middle of your application cycle, this leaves your options open. So my advice, take the DAT sooon, as you have it scheduled, good luck.

TheJuneSpirit00 said:
Well if your ready to taek the test do it now, the earlier you apply the better...i assume your applying for the 2006/2007 cycle. Have you taken any practice DATs? were the scores you got something you liked? These are things you should think about. I would say apply as early as possible. the AADSAS site is usually fast, at least with everything they did for me. I would say from the time i e-submitted my application, they sent them out within 2or3 weeks. The ADA is also rather fast in what they do. Both sites tell you it takes much longer than it usually does. But it probaby wont take as long as they say. I recommend that you take the dat as you have it scheduled, this way you can always wait 90 days and retake them in the middle of your application cycle, this leaves your options open. So my advice, take the DAT sooon, as you have it scheduled, good luck.

Thanks a lot for your response dude (assuming u r male). Totally makes sense, and it was pretty much my opinion too. I think I will just buckle down, focus on studying, and practise as much as possible and take my DAT next friday! A little nerve racking, but it has to be done ASAP.
Thanks again.

Driller23 said:
Hi Guys,

Can someone tell me how long it typically takes for AADSAS to mail your application to D-schools at this stage in the cycle?
And how long does the ADA take to report to DAT scores to D-schools? I think the ADA is pretty fast, like 1-2 weeks max.

The reason I ask is becuz I am trying to decide whether I should really really focus and cram and take my DAT on July 28th as scheduled or if I should reschedule for sometime in early/mid Sept. The reason is that I have to travel overseas for the whole of August and will not be able to take it then. However I can study for it during the whole of August and take the test in Sept if I postpone.

So I am basically weighing the benefits of an increased score 1.5 months later Vs. a somewhat lower score 1.5 months earlier.

PLS ADVICE! I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks a million.

ADA is very quick to report scores--only a couple days. However, most dental schools will give you no consideration until your application is complete and to be complete, you will need to have your DAT scores. I took my DATs super late, and it was not until a week after taking my test that schools started to correspond to me. So simply submitting your application early, but not having completed DAT scores will not give you an edge over someone who has their file complete.