1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice about MSTP

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Kari, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Kari

Kari New Member

I just finished my first year in an MSTP.

I don't think I want to stay in the program...but I can't seem to make up my mind. I worry about my dean's letter, money...everything. Could someone offer me advice?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. penguinophile

penguinophile MetalHead
    Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Are there any particular reasons why you don't want to be MSTP anymore? Is it something to do with the overall program, a certain PI (i.e. is this something that could be corrected by talking with admin)? If your program is indeed MSTP, then at least you don't have to pay back for the first year, but your programs stats will go down which may have an impact on how many spots they will have in the future. Also, unless you have a legit reason for leaving (something that could not be resolved such as you going through your rotations and hating all your labs) that can't be solved you may have issues with residency...probably not but there's always that risk. Really the best thing would do would be to have a one-on-one with the head of the MST program because I'm sure there are plenty of people who feel the way you do. Just make sure you take all the avenues available to you because this is an awesome opportunity (one I wish I had) and you should take some time. GOOD LUCK! :luck: