Need Advice About Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cire0621

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my dilemma:

I applied to both MD and DO schools, but so far I have only been accepted to two DO schools: Nova Southeastern and Touro-CA. I really want to stay in California, and my top choice is Western University, but I haven't received word from Western yet. They've only told me that my application is complete, and I was complete on 9/29. I've called them to ask my progress a few days ago, but they said that I'll just have to wait until my file is reviewed.

I only have two weeks (deadline is 11/6) to reply to Touro-CA and send in a $2000 non-refundable deposit, but I want to hear if I would interview at Western so I wouldn't have to fork over so much money. But I also want to know if I would get into Western University. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

So here's my dilemma:

I applied to both MD and DO schools, but so far I have only been accepted to two DO schools: Nova Southeastern and Touro-CA. I really want to stay in California, and my top choice is Western University, but I haven't received word from Western yet. They've only told me that my application is complete, and I was complete on 9/29. I've called them to ask my progress a few days ago, but they said that I'll just have to wait until my file is reviewed.

I only have two weeks (deadline is 11/6) to reply to Touro-CA and send in a $2000 non-refundable deposit, but I want to hear if I would interview at Western so I wouldn't have to fork over so much money. But I also want to know if I would get into Western University. What should I do?

Even if you get an interview at Western, you aren't guaranteed an acceptance. Would you be happier at Touro or Nova? Pick between those two and send in the deposit there. $2000 is a lot of money now, but it will be a drop in the bucket once school starts. I wouldn't be willing to risk an assured acceptance over a possible interview.

pick from Touro-CA or NSU for which one you'd prefer to attend. Wait until the last possible minute and then send in the cash.

Consider it just another investment in the application process. It sucks, yes, but reapplying would suck (and cost!) a lot more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I agree with the others in the thread and put down the deposit. It really is a random process and you never know what could happen.

Nova or Touro? Nova is going to let you squeeze more value out of that $2000 deposit (due middle of December, right?). Would you be OK with dropping $2000 if you get into Western?

Both Nova and Western have a deadline of early December for initial deposit. Very generous, huh?

If you haven't got the interview invite from Western at this point you shouldn't count on it (it's a timing issue; as of now you have to decide if you would like Western $2k more than Touro-CA if later you were accepted). Between Nova and Touro-CA pick one that suits you.

Nova or Touro? Nova is going to let you squeeze more value out of that $2000 deposit (due middle of December, right?). Would you be OK with dropping $2000 if you get into Western?