Need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosequartzserenity

Reaction score
I am currently a junior in university and I want to apply for the next cycle (over the summer) for optometry school. I am feeling super uneasy right now and I need some advice...on everything. I don't know any other pre-optometry students at my school and my advisor is of no help. I will be as straight to the point as I can if anyone can lend their own opinion.

When should I complete my last few pre-requisites?
Spring 2021, I plan to take Orgo Chem II, Physics II, and Physiology. Fall 2021, I plan to take Antatomy. Unless I am missing any other "higher-level" pre-reqs/highly recommended, I only have Biochem left to take. I'm not sure whether I should take it over Summer 2021 or Fall 2021...and I have several situations I could choose from:
  1. Take biochem over the summer while studying for the OAT (and risk a lower OAT score? maybe?)
  2. Take biochem in the fall while taking anatomy (and not have the pre-req completed by the time I submit my application)
Letters of Recommendations
I know some schools require a letter of rec from a science professor, my problem is that I am a psychology major and only will be taking a few more science classes in the coming semesters. I also have anxiety talking to people/professors...any tips on getting a letter of rec from a professor?

When should I plan on taking the OAT and submitting applications?
Should I aim to take the OAT at the end of the summer or early fall? Same with submitting applications? I know most schools are on rolling admission...

Any other advice on the application process/what I should have ready to apply is welcomed!
I will be trying to find shadowing hours this winter break and hopefully over the next semester. My estimated GPA by the end of this semester is about 3.6. Do I have the chance of getting into a school...? I'm so lost and worried, any help will be appreciated!!

For reference, these are the schools I have in my mind but have not yet narrowed down (sorry if I got the abbreviations wrong): NOVA/NSUO, PCO/SALUS, UHCO, NECO, MCPHS, and maybe ICO.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I've just submitted my application and still have to interview with all my schools but I thought I would chime in with my two-cents! :)

When should I complete my last few pre-requisites?
I think you ought to be very careful not to overload your courses in order to finish the prerequisites. Remember, it won't help if you take on too much only to achieve poor grades and lower your already competitive GPA. Also, since you're nearing the end of your undergraduate degree, it won't look good if there's a sudden drop/downward trend in your grades. Orgo, Physics, and Physiology all in one term sounds daunting to me, but if you feel you're able to pull it off, then go for it! :)

Either Option 1 or 2 would suffice. You do not need to have all of your required prerequisites completed at the time of applying – so maybe option 2 would be better since you can ensure the OAT has your undivided attention. Again, up to you as to how you feel you'd best perform.

Also, there is no shame in having to do an extra year to get in the prerequisites as well! You can use that year to also gain more experience and insight, which the schools LOVE.

Letters of Recommendations
Since you mentioned you were a Psych major, are there perhaps any Neuroscience courses you've taken where you could ask the prof for a LOR? I honestly just cold-emailed my prof and with COVID, I think this is more than sufficient. In the email, you can also mention what the schools are looking for in terms of testimony from the prof.

When should I plan on taking the OAT and submitting applications?
I'd prefer to take the OAT before September so that you won't have to juggle the start of a new school year. Anything submitted usually before the end of October is considered an early-cycle application, so I'd recommend then! However, sending in November/December won't be the end of the world.

Any other advice on the application process/what I should have ready to apply is welcomed!
I think based on the information you've provided, I think you're a very competitive applicant for the schools you have listed. Just aim to score at least 340 AA/TS on the OAT and you'd be solid! I find that optometry schools are much more lenient, as they look at applications holistically rather than nitpick little things here & there. Just make sure you're able to prove to them that this is a career you're passionate about and have not just rushed into. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)