OAT Advice/Experience

EyeEnthusiast

Reaction score
I recently took the OAT and want to share the method I used to ingest the wide range of material necessary to excel. I’ve included a breakdown of my scores as well.

SubjectStandard ScorePercentile
Quant. Reasoning40099
Reading Comp.40099
Biology36086
General Chemistry40099
Organic Chemistry40099
Physics40099
Total Science40099
Academic Average39099

First of all, I am a couple years removed from undergrad, so I didn’t have a network of classmates or any real idea where to even begin for this exam. I started looking around for a framework to use and came across OAT Booster.

They provide an 8-, 10-, or 12-week study guide with specific chapters to cover for each subject that allows you to really turn off the anxiety of what to study for the first couple weeks, which can be pretty overwhelming. I fully stuck to that framework and used the notes and videos to build up a knowledge base before trying any practice exams or anything.

The last 40% or so of the study guide is dedicated to review and practice exams, which is a great way to find your weak points and target those areas. It’s an open secret that the best way to do well on these types of exams is to just put in the time, and it’s a lot easier to do that if the path to a great score is laid out in front of you. 10/10 would recommend OAT Booster.

Tips:

Quant Reasoning:

Simplest section in my opinion, I wouldn’t spend too much time here. It’s important to be able to read graphs, know simple algebra, and understand probabilities.

Reading Comprehension:

Another section that shouldn’t take too much time to master. This section is all about highlighting key words and phrases as you read through so you can save time looking back. I would recommend reading the whole passage before trying to answer anything.

Biology:

Absolutely the densest section with the most amount of information to ingest and memorize. Mnemonics are your friend. For something like Taxonomy, you will be overwhelmed by the amount of information but that’s ok. Make sure to read everything before you start trying the practice tests. It sounds counterintuitive but don’t get bogged down on the first run through of information and try to memorize everything at once. Your mind will make the connections over time as you revisit the information. USE THE CHEAT SHEETS.

General Chemistry:

Know how to use the periodic table to your advantage. Trends across groups and periods tell you a ton about how the molecules will interact and behave. The formulas are pretty easy here but know everything there is to know about state functions (Gibb’s, enthalpy, entropy). Practice questions are huge here.

Organic Chemistry:

Memorize the standard reactions. Oxidation-reduction is huge as well as proton acidity. Know your C-NMR and H-NMR as well.

Physics:

Physics is all about formula memorization and application. Always write down your given values and the desired variable to determine which way the question is trying to take you. They will give you more info than you need a lot of the time. The videos are excellent.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG-0794.jpg
    IMG-0794.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user