Need advice asap!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmiinch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I feel like a complete idiot! I thought I was a whole year behind since I took a semester off but today I realize I am on track to graduate from undergrad in May 2012 so I would need to take the MCAT June 2011 which is this summer. I haven't taken Organic or Physics or Genetics and have planned that for Fall 2011 and Spring 2012. Should I go ahead and take the MCAT in June 2011 and see how I do? Or wait until June 2012 and minor in something so I graduate in May 2013? (Can't afford to sit out a year and have to start paying back my student loans). I feel so dumb that I screwed this up so badly. Also I have no research under my belt and haven't shadowed at DO yet!! WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

It's not the end of the world so just take a deep breathe and relax. Well I wouldn't advise you to take the mcat until your ready, I mean have you tried any practice tests? How are you scoring on them if you have been taking them? Since you haven't taken orgo yet, do you know how the material is?

I mean having a year off isn't the end of the world, maybe you can do something productive in that time too. Don't rush into this, if you do you are going to fall and it will hurt you.

Wait for other responses.

I agree. I wouldn't advise taking the MCAT before you take physics. I know some people can get by with just an overview of orgo, but really, the mcat is pretty physics heavy....

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys!! I talked to my brother who is at KCUMB and my friend who is applying to MD schools right now and we have come up with a plan but I want other's input as wel. I am going to go ahead and graduate in 2012. Take the MCAT June 2012 and apply with the ACCOMAS Summer 2012. I will work and take enough classes at the community college that my mom works at that I won't have to start paying back my student loans and hopefully begin Medical school in 2013. I just dont want to pay $22,000 to go an extra year when it won't benefit me. Any advice or thoughts?

Thank you guys!! I talked to my brother who is at KCUMB and my friend who is applying to MD schools right now and we have come up with a plan but I want other's input as wel. I am going to go ahead and graduate in 2012. Take the MCAT June 2012 and apply with the ACCOMAS Summer 2012. I will work and take enough classes at the community college that my mom works at that I won't have to start paying back my student loans and hopefully begin Medical school in 2013. I just dont want to pay $22,000 to go an extra year when it won't benefit me. Any advice or thoughts?

Why waste your time taking courses at a community college? I think admission committees may consider it odd that your taking random courses at a community college. If you must be in school so you dont have to pay loans, why not enroll in a one year masters program in something science/medicine related. That would be productive and actually increase your chances of getting into med school. Just an idea...

Apply for a certificate program. You can complete it in a year and you get graduate credits/take grad classes for it.

It makes more sense than enrolling at a CC to take extra classes. Just my take anyway.

So I feel like a complete idiot! I thought I was a whole year behind since I took a semester off but today I realize I am on track to graduate from undergrad in May 2012 so I would need to take the MCAT June 2011 which is this summer. I haven't taken Organic or Physics or Genetics and have planned that for Fall 2011 and Spring 2012. Should I go ahead and take the MCAT in June 2011 and see how I do? Or wait until June 2012 and minor in something so I graduate in May 2013? (Can't afford to sit out a year and have to start paying back my student loans). I feel so dumb that I screwed this up so badly. Also I have no research under my belt and haven't shadowed at DO yet!! WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!?!

Agreed: relax. Do no take the mcat 2011. Take it a month or two before you graduate in 2012 or just after when you're at your 'prime'. IMHO, do not do a minor. That is, unless you truly want to do it. Do not worry about the research. However, you should squeeze in some DO shadowing. Take a deep breath and get it done.

I am glad my brother recommended this site to me you all have been wonderful help. I am meeting with the Dean of the Science department tomorrow for her to look at my plan and make sure everything is in order for me to graduate. I took everyone's advice into consideration, I will be taking the MCAT June 2012, applying to ACCOMAS that same summer, and pushing graduation back to December 2012. I missed calculate my biology elective amounts and forgot to put in a class into my list so I have enough left over needed credits to push me back to December graduation which is fine. Next I am going to check with my student loan providers about the repayment conditions and go from there to see what I want to do with the time between January 2013 and July 2013 when Med school will hopefully begin. Again thank you guys you were all truly helpful with your advice and calming me down.

Are you overloading your credits so that you can graduate in December instead of May 2012? If you can cut back 1 class a semester and not be a part-time student, you could just graduate in May instead of December, and your loan problem would be solved. I don't think there would be any advantage in graduating in December vs. May.

No I should be graduating May 2012 but I am having to now take courses in Fall 2012 and will be graduating Winter 2012, a semester late. This will allow me to lighten my load.

In your time off, after you graduate and before med school, you could look into doing Americorps- if you are in Americorps, your loans are deffered and you will get an education grant. Just an idea :D