need advice BAD!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YOYO230

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay...so I've pretty much figured out I won't be accepted into a clincal graduate program....Now I need advice on what to do next year. My ultimate goal is to teach and chances are I will be in ATL next year (My longtime boyfriend has been accepted into Emory's medical school). I want to continue my education however I feel it might be too late to enroll in a graduate program next year....any advice would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

YOYO230 said:
Okay...so I've pretty much figured out I won't be accepted into a clincal graduate program....Now I need advice on what to do next year. My ultimate goal is to teach and chances are I will be in ATL next year (My longtime boyfriend has been accepted into Emory's medical school). I want to continue my education however I feel it might be too late to enroll in a graduate program next year....any advice would be great!

I would suggest writing a few brief emails inquiring about positions w/ faculty at Emory or Georgia State. Briefly explain why you are interested in their research and just ask if they are looking for any RAs to start in May (or whenever you could start). Attach a resume. You could even send me a copy of the email to edit if it makes you less nervous. I know at my school, we have an online database of job openings in the med school (many are in psychiatry departments), so you could def. check that out on Emory's School of Medicine website.

Also, if you are interested in health aspects of clinical psych, you might want to look into the CDC in Atlanta. My friend worked part-time there on studies of cancer patients and either social support or depression. He was even able to get published in undergrad through his part-time work.

sumo said:
I would suggest writing a few brief emails inquiring about positions w/ faculty at Emory or Georgia State. Briefly explain why you are interested in their research and just ask if they are looking for any RAs to start in May (or whenever you could start). Attach a resume. You could even send me a copy of the email to edit if it makes you less nervous. I know at my school, we have an online database of job openings in the med school (many are in psychiatry departments), so you could def. check that out on Emory's School of Medicine website.

Also, if you are interested in health aspects of clinical psych, you might want to look into the CDC in Atlanta. My friend worked part-time there on studies of cancer patients and either social support or depression. He was even able to get published in undergrad through his part-time work.

Oh my gosh you have been SO helpful! What exactly is an RA. Is this a common thing to do with professors? There is a professor at GA state whose research is EXACTLY what I want to do...it's too mad that I wasn't accepted there. I've got rejected from everywhere exept for UT (still waiting on 3 others) and I have an interview there next week however due to my circumstances I will probably be in ATL. I am very interested in the health aspects of clincial psychology so the CDC sounds perfect! I really appreciate your info!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
UTpremed said:
Oh my gosh you have been SO helpful! What exactly is an RA. Is this a common thing to do with professors? There is a professor at GA state whose research is EXACTLY what I want to do...it's too mad that I wasn't accepted there. I've got rejected from everywhere exept for UT (still waiting on 3 others) and I have an interview there next week however due to my circumstances I will probably be in ATL. I am very interested in the health aspects of clincial psychology so the CDC sounds perfect! I really appreciate your info!!!

that previous post was from me...i didn't know my bf was signed on to SDN with his name :)

YOYO230 said:
that previous post was from me...i didn't know my bf was signed on to SDN with his name :)

I'm glad I could help. RA = Research Assistant. However, sometimes those positions are called "data tech" on some online med school postings. Because you are into some health related aspects of clinical psych, you should def. look into Emory's psychiatry department (in addition to psychology, of course) and the CDC. However, I would hold off on emails for another couple weeks until you have heard back from schools and know you need a job in Atlanta.