Need Advice DAT soon and low math scores and behind

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheUnknown123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone my DAT is in 18 days and I feel as if I am behind in taking the practice exams in BC. these are my scores so far
Bio: 19,19,18
Gen Chem: 19.24.20
Orgo: 24,22,20
RC: 22,21,20
Math,17, <16
I haven't taken a PAT exam yet but I have been practicing on the generators. I am beating myself up because I had been studying so much for the sciences and I have left the PAT and Math exams for the end of my studying and now I am regretting it. What do you guys recommend to help with learning QR quickly. I have Math Destroyer should I look into that. Also should I reschedule? I am looking to apply this cycle and the latest I am willing to take it is mid august. My GPA is pretty good I have a 3.78 cumulative and a 3.70 science

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. Its crazy to see how many of us can be in almost the exact same situation when its comes to the DAT and applying. My DAT is within a week and although I am using Booster instead of BC, I have been getting similar scores to yours and have a similar GPA as well. Math is one of my biggest weaknesses as well and I can provide some insight that may be reassuring.

From what I've seen on other SDN posts including my own, people using BC and Booster tend to score better on their actual DAT then what is predicted by the practice tests. BC and Booster design their tests to be harder on average than what actually shows up on the DAT. So I think its really important not to let those scores bring down your confidence. Focus on understanding why you are missing the questions. I have also heard that QR is not heavily considered by most schools but check to see if the schools you are applying to have a minimum required score.

Considering you have 18 days left and already purchased Destroyer, go through as many problems as you can and you should be able to boost your scores in no time.

Now whether or not you should reschedule your test is tough to answer because of where we are at in the cycle, plus you havent shared the rest of your stats. The sad reality is that it seems like there is a big risk either way you approach this. If you push your test back another more than a week (mid to late Aug) you start to get closer and closer to what some might consider a "late submission". But then again if that means a higher DAT score then is it worth the risk?

I wouldnt jump the gun and move the test yet. Prometric will only charge you $60 to move it all the way up until 5 days out from the exam. Give your self another week of studying and if you still dont feel confident then move it.

Hope you know you arent alone! And if anyone else has any better advice I think both of us would appreciate it. 😭

Wow. Its crazy to see how many of us can be in almost the exact same situation when its comes to the DAT and applying. My DAT is within a week and although I am using Booster instead of BC, I have been getting similar scores to yours and have a similar GPA as well. Math is one of my biggest weaknesses as well and I can provide some insight that may be reassuring.

From what I've seen on other SDN posts including my own, people using BC and Booster tend to score better on their actual DAT then what is predicted by the practice tests. BC and Booster design their tests to be harder on average than what actually shows up on the DAT. So I think its really important not to let those scores bring down your confidence. Focus on understanding why you are missing the questions. I have also heard that QR is not heavily considered by most schools but check to see if the schools you are applying to have a minimum required score.

Considering you have 18 days left and already purchased Destroyer, go through as many problems as you can and you should be able to boost your scores in no time.

Now whether or not you should reschedule your test is tough to answer because of where we are at in the cycle, plus you havent shared the rest of your stats. The sad reality is that it seems like there is a big risk either way you approach this. If you push your test back another more than a week (mid to late Aug) you start to get closer and closer to what some might consider a "late submission". But then again if that means a higher DAT score then is it worth the risk?

I wouldnt jump the gun and move the test yet. Prometric will only charge you $60 to move it all the way up until 5 days out from the exam. Give your self another week of studying and if you still dont feel confident then move it.

Hope you know you arent alone! And if anyone else has any better advice I think both of us would appreciate it. 😭
I am thinking the same exact thing. Studying hard for the math and PAT this upcoming week while going over the problems I got wrong in the other subjects and seeing where I am in a week will be the most beneficial thing for me to do. Yes I have also heard that BC and Booster are harder than the real DAT but I would feel more comfortable scoring good on those exams before I take the actual DAT. However, at the same time I do feel like I am shooting myself in the foot by applying too late if I was to push the exam back. We shall see in a week how I am doing!

Also, Good luck on your exam! and thank you for the advice.

Hello everyone my DAT is in 18 days and I feel as if I am behind in taking the practice exams in BC. these are my scores so far
Bio: 19,19,18
Gen Chem: 19.24.20
Orgo: 24,22,20
RC: 22,21,20
Math,17, <16
I haven't taken a PAT exam yet but I have been practicing on the generators. I am beating myself up because I had been studying so much for the sciences and I have left the PAT and Math exams for the end of my studying and now I am regretting it. What do you guys recommend to help with learning QR quickly. I have Math Destroyer should I look into that. Also should I reschedule? I am looking to apply this cycle and the latest I am willing to take it is mid august. My GPA is pretty good I have a 3.78 cumulative and a 3.70 science
As a rule of thumb, keep in mind that practice test scores may grossly under or overestimate your scores on test day. You should always judge if you're ready for the exam based on your understanding and comfort with the concept and question types, rather than any practice test scores.

That being said, if you are struggling with the QR section and scoring lower, that's probably a good indication that QR is giving you some trouble. Frankly I think that is a pretty common issue for a lot of people, and something you can probably overcome! 18 days may be pushing it though, depending on how fast you are able to learn the question types and how to solve them. Luckily, the Math Destroyer is what you really need to do well on the exam - it seriously saved me. I would also pair it with the free companion YouTube videos too which are very helpful.

As for your time crunch, you may be able to do it! I just worry about neglecting the other sections for a few days and how it may end up affecting those scores. Maybe it's worth pushing the exam back a bit (a month? maybe less, depends on your comfort level!) so you have more time to sit with the QR materials and continue to review the remainder., plus have some time to practice PAT as well. Really depends on your preference! Always keep in mind that it's better to take this exam once than having to do it again - both monetarily and for your own sanity's sake (lol)!

Best of luck!

As a rule of thumb, keep in mind that practice test scores may grossly under or overestimate your scores on test day. You should always judge if you're ready for the exam based on your understanding and comfort with the concept and question types, rather than any practice test scores.

That being said, if you are struggling with the QR section and scoring lower, that's probably a good indication that QR is giving you some trouble. Frankly I think that is a pretty common issue for a lot of people, and something you can probably overcome! 18 days may be pushing it though, depending on how fast you are able to learn the question types and how to solve them. Luckily, the Math Destroyer is what you really need to do well on the exam - it seriously saved me. I would also pair it with the free companion YouTube videos too which are very helpful.

As for your time crunch, you may be able to do it! I just worry about neglecting the other sections for a few days and how it may end up affecting those scores. Maybe it's worth pushing the exam back a bit (a month? maybe less, depends on your comfort level!) so you have more time to sit with the QR materials and continue to review the remainder., plus have some time to practice PAT as well. Really depends on your preference! Always keep in mind that it's better to take this exam once than having to do it again - both monetarily and for your own sanity's sake (lol)!

Best of luck!
I second this!