Need advice, failed step 1 twice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiredandhungry

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't usually come to SDN for advice, since I don't personally know anyone here, but when you're desperate and don't know where else to look you do what you have to do.

So the first time I took the step, I was completely off. Scored a 165. I didn't study right, didn't study long enough, you name it, I just wasn't prepared.

So I turned to DIT. Spent about 2 months, went thru it twice, did UWorld, did NBME practice exams and Uworld Practice exams, walked out of the real thing feeling much better. I thought for sure that I had passed. I received my scores back yesterday, score 186. To say the least, I was stunned. I feel really down right now. Don't know what to do and if I should even attempt a third time considering residency programs are going to be hard to come by.

What would you guys suggest, should I try again, what should I do differently if I do go for it? My will to keep trying is dwindling, obviously the wound is still fresh so I might feel better in a couple more days. I've already gone thru U-World so many times that I'm not sure I can go through it again since I already know all the questions. So I would probably have to go with another qbank. Sigh...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
something doesn't add up.

are you stopping and looking back at First Aid while you did the nbme's? are you taking them timed? they are usually fairly indicative of passing if you pass them.

You'll make it. the exam doesn't change. Do Goljan, FA, Uworld, and more Goljan, FA, and Uworld. do all of uworld, read the explanations, do all your incorrect questions again, do more than just 1 nbme..study hard for at least a month, you should be putting in 12 hours a day..there isn't a reason you should fail if you stick with that.

something doesn't add up.

are you stopping and looking back at First Aid while you did the nbme's? are you taking them timed? they are usually fairly indicative of passing if you pass them.

You'll make it. the exam doesn't change. Do Goljan, FA, Uworld, and more Goljan, FA, and Uworld. do all of uworld, read the explanations, do all your incorrect questions again, do more than just 1 nbme..study hard for at least a month, you should be putting in 12 hours a day..there isn't a reason you should fail if you stick with that.

Yeah, I agree that you should take multiple NBME's online and if the all predict a comfortable pass after studying you should be fine. The thing is, remember that on test day anxiety, nerves and other factors may affect your performance, so you want your predicted score to be fairly high, eg >220, so that even if you score lower you're still in passing range.

The biggest advice I can give for anyone repeating anything in life because they didnt like the outcome is ... dont repeat your actions and expect different results but rather ( in the case of studying ) change how you studied , take a review course if you didnt the first time , change where when you studied , do different qbank , talk with physicians to solidify what you already know etc etc etc...

Yeah, I agree that you should take multiple NBME's online and if the all predict a comfortable pass after studying you should be fine. The thing is, remember that on test day anxiety, nerves and other factors may affect your performance, so you want your predicted score to be fairly high, eg >220, so that even if you score lower you're still in passing range.

I had done 3 NBME practice exams and both uworld assessments. With a week left did I get those final scores.

I will admit that I do struggle with some anxiety. But then again, who doesn't? Maybe its affecting me more than others, but I was certain that I would at least pass once I saw those last few practice exam scores. I just have to start hitting over 220 like you said, and hopefully I can be comfortable enough to not worry about not passing again.