Need advice for screenplay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steve F

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi:

I am not in med school but I am writing a screenplay which centers around a doctor in his fourth year of residency at a small underserved community hospital and I would like to ask for advice on a couple of things I am stuck on.

The script is a drama/mystery surrounding a 15 year old girl who walks into the ER with no identity and is 10 weeks pregnant. She's tried to abort with a coat-hangar. The doctor performs repair work on her vagina and admits her. An RN, with whom the doctor is romantically involved in a cladestine relationship, discovers the girl seems to have a dissasociative disorder resulting in two distinct personalities. One of a 15 year old and the other a woman much older and wiser.

The girl is moved to a room next to an 85 year old comatose patient in the final stages of terminal bowel cancer. 24 hours later the old lady awakes cancer free. She dreamed of the girl young and her baby.

After another impossible healing event with a apteient across the hall, the doctor knows something else is going on beyond explination and is told by the girl her baby must be born and he and the RN are to help her.

Then a man shows up at the hospital claiming to be her father and demands an abortion. The doctor knows he must do everything to keep the girl and the baby safe, yet word gets out of the heeling and the media along with many "Jesus Freaks" descend on the small hospital infuriating the adminstrator who demands the doctor get rid of the girl and/or perform the abortion.

My question is this: What could the doctor do to lie about keeping the girl? My initial thought was testing for encephalitis and putting her in quarantine which could give him a few extra days. It must be something that puts his career on the line yet he is able to finish his residency and opens a small OB clinic with the RN in the end.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Members don't see this ad.