Need advice for unique situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wvsom08080617

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year osteopathic medical student. I am wondering what my chances are of getting into a peds residency program. My situation is this: GPA 82, bottom 3rd in my class, low COMLEX step 1 scores. I have also had to take time off to take care of my premature baby, and will not be eligible to take step 2 until December 2007. So, I will not receive my scores until January 08, which is at the end of interview season. Also, I will not complete graduation until mid-August 2008.

What I need to know is this:

1. Do I even have a chance of matching in 2008 in a program in the South Atlantic area (NC, SC, VA, WV, TN)?

2. If I don't match, I really don't want to do the Scramble and have to live far away. What kinds of things would you recommend to do for a year. I've heard of people doing research, anything else?

3. How many residencies should I apply for? I think I have about 15 in mind right now. I don't want to waste time and money by applying to too few or too many places.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope someone out there can help me out. Also, congratulations to those of you who did match to the places where you wanted to go.

Members don't see this ad.

DO vs MD in peds shouldn't be that big a deal, but you've got a number of other obstacles here.

1. If you're not going to graduate until mid August 08, then that likely puts you out of the running for an 08 match. You might be able to talk to a program individually, but most start in July not August or September. I'd reccommend doing an away rotation if you can and see what connections you can make if you know you want to stay in the area.

2. If you don't want to scramble and don't mind waiting a year research is probably a good option. Finding someone at your school who's doing something interesting is probably your best bet, but I'd still reccommend starting your career over delaying, even it means you have to move.

3. How many you apply to is entirely up to you. You don't have to go to every interview that's offered, so applying to more than you need may be a good idea. Keep in mind you have to pay more to apply to more places though. I think I interviewed at 14 places or so, and was pretty tired out from it. Not to mention the cost of flying all over the place.

My only other question: is it worth taking the USMLE in addition to the COMPLEX? It'd be a pain in the ass, but I wonder if it would help too.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Thanks for the advise. I am actually planning on taking step 2 of the USMLE, but I will not be a 4th year until December. So I cannot take either COMLEX or USMLE until then.

I also am unable to do any away rotations because I have signed a contract with a hospital to do all my third year rotations there. I would be able to in December, but I wonder if that is to late?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advise. I am actually planning on taking step 2 of the USMLE, but I will not be a 4th year until December. So I cannot take either COMLEX or USMLE until then.

I also am unable to do any away rotations because I have signed a contract with a hospital to do all my third year rotations there. I would be able to in December, but I wonder if that is to late?

December is in the middle of interview season, so the program should give you an interview just out of curtesy while you are there. Definitely a good idea.

They can make you sign a contract to do all rotations at one hospital? Sorry to hear it!

Are you sure that you are not eligible to take step 2 until december?

Take another look at requirements for step 2... I know a lot of students who took step 2 without having a few of the 3rd year core rotations completed (pysch, peds, even surgery). If you study a lot, some students do fine on step 2 without one or two cores. It is not a rule that you have to have all cores completed before step 2, just a specific # of weeks. check it out and see if you can take it a month earlier.

also, why are you graduating in august? can you push for a June 31st graduation? maybe if you went straight through with no breaks?

if not, then the 08 match can't happen.

I will double check at the requirements. I might also be cleared to take the USMLE early, but not the COMLEX. So that may help me.

Also the graduation in August is going through with no breaks.

But on a brighter not I have spoken with some programs and have been told that they do offer start dates other than July 1. So there might be hope for me yet!

They can make you sign a contract to do all rotations at one hospital? Sorry to hear it![/quote]

Yes its called State wide campus. Convenient if you want to live in one area. Not so convenient if you have a baby in the middle of the year. But hindsite is 20/20.

Yes, you are right. I have seen programs that offer start dates in January. However, you will have to check if the regions you are interested in, offer such options.

Hope this helps.

I think you should go for it. Individual programs make exceptions to the rules. Something that is not heavily advertised in med school.

Just an update:
I have emailed several different programs. I usually get one of two replies. Either they do not accept residents without a July 1 start date, or I am advised to apply and if I match then they will work out the start date. So if anyone else is in a similar situation, I hope this thread might help them out.