Step I Need advice/ help asap please! taking step third year

Started by Karen4317
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Karen4317

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

I needed advice on taking Step 1 third year. I am a DO student and have to take COMLEX (my date is august 20th) prior to rotations but can take step 1 whenever. I am really nervous about taking it within the next month or august because, due to some unfortunate circumstances, I was unable to prepare effectively until the past few weeks. I feel like the subjects I take some time on, I can retain pretty well and do well on when doing UWorld questions. However, I have MANY gaps in my knowledge still.

My rotations for third year start off a little harder (OB and EM), but then I have Peds, Psych, and FM. I was hoping to take the exam during my FM rotation, which would be around December!

Would you guys suggest taking it third year? If anybody has taken step 1 during third year, any advice would be appreciated! (I am also taking a little extra money out of loans to start one on one tutoring because I feel like I really need it!) I guess I just kind of need any encouragement and advice if possible! Thank you!
 
Last edited:
I hear FM is pretty tough, especially the COMAT. Your best bet is to take it during psych or during an elective where you don't have to study for a COMAT.